Web Streaming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 13th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Web Streaming?

I was curious if anyone has used ustream before? and has ever streamed using a mobile internet card?

Thanks,
Matt F.
Matt Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

I have.

With the Brisbane Joomla users group, we started using UStream to broadcast the contents of the meetings to those who could not make it along on the night. Especially the part where the pizzas arrived. I typically put a tape in the camera as a backup recording measure.

The workflow was that I would set up with my camera, and connect to a laptop via firewire. This laptop would be connecting to UStream using the Firefox browser. Not sure if we used other browsers or not.

I think we did have problems getting internet access on one occasion and used a wireless card to do the job. Recommend testing to see how it works for you.

What we did find on more than one occasion is that we would lose the connection about half an hour or so in to the meeting, and that there was nothing us geeks could do to get it working again from that firewire feed from the camera. The camera in the laptop would be okay, but as soon as you (software) switched to the external camera via firewire it would crash again.

I know that the firewire connection was and continues to be good. I don't believe that UStream is the culprit and it could possibly be either Firefox or MacOSX on the laptop. It could even be something else alltogether. It's not something that we have had the time to go through and sort out, but it has happened on a number of occasions and would be the reason why we have not promoted the live streaming of the meeting on the main Joomla page. For whatever the reason, our experience of it is not ready for prime time.

These days we just record to camera and prep a recording to be uploaded to Vimeo. Streaming live (we had about 65 viewers typically) just doesn't seem to be a priority these days.

Perhaps we should have used a PC?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion