DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Buying a US camera for use in the UK (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/489753-buying-us-camera-use-uk.html)

Richard Grebby January 4th, 2011 11:53 PM

Buying a US camera for use in the UK

Im over in the US right now and will be for a while and im thinking of getting a new camcorder. Will I have any issues with taking it back to the UK?

Im thinking of getting an HD camera and editing with adobe premiere.

Brian Drysdale January 5th, 2011 02:59 AM

I'd make sure the camera can shoot either 25p or 50i.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 5th, 2011 03:24 AM

Richard,
I don't know where youi are in the USA, but if you're passing through NY, you couldn't do better than call in at B&H Photo. They keep a stock of PAL cameras...

Paul R Johnson January 5th, 2011 08:21 AM

Also worth an email or phone call to Sony UK to check they will honour the warranty. If they treat it as a grey import, despite the Sony label, they may leave you high and dry.

Don't forget VAT has just risen to 20%, so that's a big chunk to add on if you go through the red channel, or risk the green!

Richard Grebby January 5th, 2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1604587)
Richard,
I don't know where youi are in the USA, but if you're passing through NY, you couldn't do better than call in at B&H Photo. They keep a stock of PAL cameras...

Im up in MA right now so NY is about a 3 hour drive so its tempting.

Lee Mullen January 20th, 2011 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1604580)
I'd make sure the camera can shoot either 25p or 50i.

If HD it won't really matter. I use 60i here in Oz for HD and no issues at all.

Lee Mullen January 20th, 2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1604634)
Also worth an email or phone call to Sony UK to check they will honour the warranty. If they treat it as a grey import, despite the Sony label, they may leave you high and dry.

Don't forget VAT has just risen to 20%, so that's a big chunk to add on if you go through the red channel, or risk the green!

Or disgard the packaging and put it in the luggage...

Paul R Johnson January 20th, 2011 11:18 AM

.... but still a lot to lose if the x-ray inspection generates a customs pull! identification of the model number would show it to be an undeclared import, and it might even be confiscated?

Marc Burleigh January 20th, 2011 01:07 PM

If you want to work it out:

New Duty & VAT Calculation | The Duty Calculator

Now, understand that a lot of tourists travel regularly with cameras, iPads, computers and mobile telephones, and it's rare for green-line customs to pull you over if you have only one of those items, in used condition.

I've heard that some people buying a US camera, say, film some stuff with it, put some stickers on it, scuff it a little, ditch all packaging and tags, and mail the warranty to themselves (instead of keeping it on them when they pass through customs), and they're OK. Hard for customs to challenge someone who says they received the camera as a gift in the UK 3 months earlier, or that they travel with it regularly after buying it grey-market on Tottenham Road (where US- and Japanese-sourced items are available). If challenged, though, remain polite but say little. They're looking for bigger fish usually, people bringing in really expensive jewellery or art, or multiple electronic items. And especially drugs.

(And, as an aside, never forget the scandal about the MPs using public money -- ie. raised through VAT and customs -- to redecorate their homes. That, and the fact that they keep raising taxes on you to travel through UK airports. The government is already well and truly getting its cut of your trip to the US. You're free to volunteer more if you want to.)

Mike Beckett January 20th, 2011 02:26 PM

I just bought three small filters from B&H... price in $ was $110. Price to me was $240, with $70 or so taxes.

I've just given up complaining. I have yet to buy something overseas that doesn't get nabbed by Customs for a charge (many a parcel has had a two week holiday in the Mount Pleasant sorting office), so I just order through B&H and pre-pay taxes now.

And don't grumble about it at all....!

Never mind that any time I've passed through Heathrow T4 in recent years there's been no customs staff there, just a phone you are supposed to lift and 'fess up.