Buying a US camera for use in the UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Buying a US camera for use in the UK

Im over in the US right now and will be for a while and im thinking of getting a new camcorder. Will I have any issues with taking it back to the UK?

Im thinking of getting an HD camera and editing with adobe premiere.
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'd make sure the camera can shoot either 25p or 50i.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #3
Trustee

Richard,
I don't know where youi are in the USA, but if you're passing through NY, you couldn't do better than call in at B&H Photo. They keep a stock of PAL cameras...
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Also worth an email or phone call to Sony UK to check they will honour the warranty. If they treat it as a grey import, despite the Sony label, they may leave you high and dry.

Don't forget VAT has just risen to 20%, so that's a big chunk to add on if you go through the red channel, or risk the green!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Richard,
I don't know where youi are in the USA, but if you're passing through NY, you couldn't do better than call in at B&H Photo. They keep a stock of PAL cameras...
Im up in MA right now so NY is about a 3 hour drive so its tempting.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I'd make sure the camera can shoot either 25p or 50i.
If HD it won't really matter. I use 60i here in Oz for HD and no issues at all.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
Also worth an email or phone call to Sony UK to check they will honour the warranty. If they treat it as a grey import, despite the Sony label, they may leave you high and dry.

Don't forget VAT has just risen to 20%, so that's a big chunk to add on if you go through the red channel, or risk the green!
Or disgard the packaging and put it in the luggage...
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

.... but still a lot to lose if the x-ray inspection generates a customs pull! identification of the model number would show it to be an undeclared import, and it might even be confiscated?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

If you want to work it out:

New Duty & VAT Calculation | The Duty Calculator

Now, understand that a lot of tourists travel regularly with cameras, iPads, computers and mobile telephones, and it's rare for green-line customs to pull you over if you have only one of those items, in used condition.

I've heard that some people buying a US camera, say, film some stuff with it, put some stickers on it, scuff it a little, ditch all packaging and tags, and mail the warranty to themselves (instead of keeping it on them when they pass through customs), and they're OK. Hard for customs to challenge someone who says they received the camera as a gift in the UK 3 months earlier, or that they travel with it regularly after buying it grey-market on Tottenham Road (where US- and Japanese-sourced items are available). If challenged, though, remain polite but say little. They're looking for bigger fish usually, people bringing in really expensive jewellery or art, or multiple electronic items. And especially drugs.

(And, as an aside, never forget the scandal about the MPs using public money -- ie. raised through VAT and customs -- to redecorate their homes. That, and the fact that they keep raising taxes on you to travel through UK airports. The government is already well and truly getting its cut of your trip to the US. You're free to volunteer more if you want to.)
Marc Burleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Trustee

I just bought three small filters from B&H... price in $ was $110. Price to me was $240, with $70 or so taxes.

I've just given up complaining. I have yet to buy something overseas that doesn't get nabbed by Customs for a charge (many a parcel has had a two week holiday in the Mount Pleasant sorting office), so I just order through B&H and pre-pay taxes now.

And don't grumble about it at all....!

Never mind that any time I've passed through Heathrow T4 in recent years there's been no customs staff there, just a phone you are supposed to lift and 'fess up.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion