Filming laser shows. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 15th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Filming laser shows.

A reminder of the problems shooting laser shows with video and digital cameras and possible damage to sensors.

This sounds like an area where film still has an advantage.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Filming laser shows.

I guess so - but the irresponsible use of the lasers is what worries me. For every camera sensor that is damaged, it's one retina that didn't! Crowd scanning is one of the don't do's on every risk assessment I've seen. Idiots scanning the crowd need a good shake up. People using cheap and lower powered laser pens to dazzle pilots get chased down and arrested by the Police - because the aviation authorities consider them a danger - so it beats me how these idiots get away with it. All the ones I've ever worked on productions with have proper skilled operators and very careful alignment to minimise any risk. If the camera was recording, then there seems ample evidence for a legal action against the operator, because all the professional codes of practice condemn crowd scanning, and doing it would seem negligent (to me?)
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm wondering if there are any filters that would reduce or eliminate the damage of a laser strike, without adversely affecting the image. I've worked with DJ's who are guilty of these cunning stunts.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hmmm - seems like the "turn them in to to the authorities" filter would be most appropriate.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Arieli View Post
I'm wondering if there are any filters that would reduce or eliminate the damage of a laser strike...
I think the lens cap would work best!

We're thinking about this at the college where I teach. We *must* conserve & protect cams, for the benefit of shared student access to equipment. Funding is hard, we have to make our old tired cameras last!

IMHO, if a cam op sees crowd-scanning lasers, he or she should put on the lens cap, and should go home for their own safety as well as that of the equipment.

I don't care who the client or sponsor is, or what the project is, it's not worth risking one's eyesight!

Not sure who the appropriate authorities are in the U.S.? Fire Marshal, Consumer Products Safety Commission, OSHA?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion