OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem* at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #1
Major Player

OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem*

Anyone else have one of these, or might know something about these things? Everything it reflects is doubled and offset, making it incredibly difficult to view/read. It has nothing to do with my iPad or Teleprompt+ app, as I can put a piece of paper with text on it and the reflection shows the same problem. I haven't been able to find any answers online. I cleaned the glass, I unscrewed the frame holding the glass and flipped the glass around hoping it was maybe installed backwards. Nothing I've done has fixed it. I emailed the company two days ago and didn't get a response. I just emailed them again.
Attached Thumbnails
OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem*-pad-prompter-malfunction.jpg  
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem*

I just got an overnight shipment in the mail from DHL. The company sent a new sheet of glass and threw in a light stand adapter for free along with a small apology note. Odd that they never replied to my emails. In any event, the new glass works!
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Patrick,
Glad you solved the problem :) I was planing to buy one too as I found some good reviews about this product.
What else can you tell us about this prompter? are you happy with your purchase!? which camera are you using with it?, I have a Sony PMW350 and a Sony FS100 and was planing to use it with both! please tell us your thoughts as I didn't found anyone here in this forum using it! do you have any photo with your setup!?
Thank you in advance.
cheers
Samer
Old June 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Trustee

Is the new mirror a front surface mirror, where the reflective surface is in front of the glass?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey guys. The company emailed me shortly after receiving the shipment. I can't answer the question about the reflective nature of the glass, as I'm unsure of how it is machinated. It just looks like a plate of glass. I guess the last one wasn't properly calibrated or whatever. Anyhow, I'm using it with a Panasonic GH2, but I may use it with my Sony NX5U, as well. The lens on the NX5U is a bit higher, but the included bracket can be adjusted to raise the height of the prompter. If you use the light stand adapter it's even quicker to raise the height. As far as construction goes, it's okay. There isn't a whole lot to the device, which to me means it's marked up quite a bit from its production cost, but it's on par with other devices of its kind (actually a bit cheaper). The real brains of the unit is your iPad. I'll post a couple of pictures soon.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Here ya go. I'm using the Teleprompt+ app, which is great. You can control the speed of the text with the accompanying app for the iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem*-p1030141.jpg   OneTakeOnly Pad Prompter *Problem*-p1030142.jpg  

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
Tourist

Hi Patrick,

I'm glad that your Pad Prompter is now working as it should. It was the first time that we had a defective beamsplitter. I'm a bit surprised that you said that our price is a bit high. I started building the Pad Prompter after seeing units selling for $2000.00. I worked very hard to keep it as affordable as possible. Only the aluminum hardware included with the Pad Prompter will cost you more than the price of the complete Pad Prompter, if you had to buy from a brand name. Our margin of profit is so thin that we cant even have distributor. And when something wrong happen.....broken glass during shipping, part forgetten,etc. ....we're losing money. I spended more than $60 only for the shipping of your beamsplitter, so that you can have it next day. I prefer not figuring all the time and energy I put into this, if I would .....I could decide to go working at McDonalds and make more money ,

thanks

Andre
Andre Desrochers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Mr. Desrochers...I've been looking for an iPad teleprompter system. I've decided to purchase your product and will be contacting you shortly. My decision was made simple by your well-made product, personal involvement, willingness to provide excellent customer service and of course modest price-point.

Bonne chance!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have a 15" prompter which I really love.

I also like the concept of an i pad promter and this is probably the best I've seen.

Usually when I'm on a job with my prompter I'm paid to be the operator. And I'm a pretty decent operator, by my own standards that is. I have seen some really talented operators that put me to shame.

This type of prompter is good for just scrolling a script, but when you need finite control and constant script changes, as often happens , this is not the prompter you want. I have seen professional high paid talent go ballistic on operators who couldn't keep up. When the talent says go back to the 3rd line in the second paragraph , he means now.

And controlling a prompter from your iphone ain't the way to go in a lot of cases. But if you're on a lighthearted shoot I could see the use of it.

I like the size of it. Although the talent likes the larger size.

I have seen similar prompters with 10 inch monitors that you still run from your laptop.
I bet the folks at One Take Only Pad Prompter could make one of those too.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion