iPhones for basic vox pops at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 14th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Tourist

iPhones for basic vox pops

Hello, my first post on here. I see that this forum is largely inhabited by pros with the odd n00b. Well I'm a n00b.

I'm actually a photographer by trade. Video hasn't grabbed me before. I am playing - not professionally, simply playing for the joy of it. Eventually I may look at playing with video on the 5D II but for now I'm simply exploring my iPhone's capability.

I've got an iPhone 4 and I'm looking how much I can do with it on its own. I'm interested in doing quick vox pop recordings.

I've tried "Camera Awesome" instead of the regular camera. Exposure is better but I've had issues with recording stopping after a few seconds.

For processing I'm only trimming intro/exit frames and adding captions so am using iMovie - which then allows me to send up to YouTube or Vimeo.

I'm not looking to "instagram" (or whatever the video equivalent is), just to do a short recording, maybe mix in a photo or two, some captions... music would be a bonus.

So far I've noted that audio volume is really quiet. I got around this using my PC and importing the MOV file into Audacity, boosting the volume and tidying the background noise before re-adding in MS Movie Maker. I figure there ought to be some way to boost the audio whilst using just the iPhone but haven't found it so far.

I searched this forum for suggestions and see that a lavalier mic may help some but may not fix the problem.

It sounds like a few folk may also be doing "start to finish on iPhone" for certain applications and I'm wondering what toolset you use to do it so that I can try out different tools and play a bit more.

If I could fix the audio that would be great. But I guess there might be better video apps for recording in the first place and maybe for editing too.

Any suggestions?
Mark Cornwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion