24p + 30p + 60p = Mixing frame rates within one movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 12th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

24p + 30p + 60p = Mixing frame rates within one movie

If you're like me, you prefer different frame rates for different types of content. No shocker there.

When you need to edit together 24p (still movement), 30p (semi-still), 60p (quick pans, quick motion and slow-motion) 1080p clips and end up with a nice HD movie to burn to BluRay, how would you render this movie? What would enter into your decision-making, in order to preserve the character of these frame rate preferences?

Please forgive my ignorance of BluRay. Most of what I do resides in computer-land. Because I will ultimately burn this project to Blu-Ray, and I want to be able to switch between these frame rates, should everything be up-res to 60p, burned to 60i?
Casey Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: 24p + 30p + 60p = Mixing frame rates within one movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Danielson View Post
Because I will ultimately burn this project to Blu-Ray, and I want to be able to switch between these frame rates, should everything be up-res to 60p, burned to 60i?
Probably. Your only other choice is 24p. That's all the blu-ray spec recognizes.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Major Player

The 24p & 30p source footage will look like native progressive footage if it is in a Blu-Ray compliant 30i wrapper, (i.e. as 30psf).

Last edited by Steve Game; October 12th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
The 24p & 30p source footage will look like native progressive footage if it is in a Blu-Ray compliant 30i wrapper, (i.e. as 30psf).
I don't know why I thought Blu Ray discs could handle playing full (16:9/2.1 MegaPixels) HD playing 60fps, like HD tv sports. Any idea when this technology will be available? The Hobbit looked dazzlingly crappy, I'm not talking about that soap opera look. But I can see situations where it would be useful.
Casey Danielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
I don't know why I thought Blu Ray discs could handle playing full (16:9/2.1 MegaPixels) HD playing 60fps, like HD tv sports.
Probably because the blu-ray spec does include 1280x720p60, just like over the air broadcasts. The 720p60 part of the HD / blu-ray spec was indeed done for sports.

Quote:
Any idea when this technology will be available?
You aren't going to get 1920x1080p60 on a blu-ray disc. Not going to happen.

Rumor has it that the 4K UHD blu-ray specification is about to be released; level 4.1 of the specification includes 1920x1080 at frame rates up to 64 fps, while level 5 will take you to 128 fps. But it's going to use the H.265 CODEC.

But just because the spec. supports it, doesn't mean anyone will ever produce a player or a TV that supports it. For that, we'll have to wait and see.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

There are plenty of Bluray players that will play 1080p60 even though it is not officially supported. My Samsung BD player does it.

Bob
Old October 13th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Inner Circle

You will need to encode AVCHD 2.0 in order to achieve 60p.

Otherwise, I'd do the 60p to 60i thing. This ensures you don't get the 24p to 30p stutter. Edit first in 60p, then render an intermediate to be converted to 60i. Make sure it's not halving the frame rate first.

Also, look at what content and framerate is common in your film. If it's mostly 24p, go 24p and frame rate convert the rest of your footage. If it's half 24 and half the rest, you're more inclined to edit in 60p.

If you're going for a more video look, 60p is best. If you're going for a more filmic look, 24p while converting the rest of your footage to that framerate is best.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion