Where to Buy Canon XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old October 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where to Buy Canon XL2?

Hi

Wheres a good place to buy a Canon XL2, thanks.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Where are you looking? From Canon the cam is pricey, but you know you can trust them. Other popular retailers such as B&H are well known and good to deal with, but again, a bit more expensive.

There are lots of "deals" floating around out there, such as on eBay where you get the camera and 18 extra things such as wide-angle adapters, telephoto lenses, filters (most of which are crap), but the overall package is considerably cheaper. I personally purchased my Xl2 from 47th St. Photo and I really appreciated their speed and customer support.

Just do some research on the company you plan to buy from. You may find a very good organization offering you a good deal, or you might get some slick guy on the east coast "with only one left buddy you gotta take it now you know what I mean c'mon it's today only call back and it'll be gone."

*edit* I just noticed that your location is the UK so you prolly don't have to worry about the exact same guy I was referring to ;-)

Good luck
Alec Lence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you are ok with buying used, you can try posting a message on the classifieds forum here and see if you can find one locally. I would strongly favor buying an XL2 from the seller in person.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I bought one from Jessops for less than £3000, they do a good price match if you bring in printouts from on-line shops. I bought a second one for just over £2,800 from an online shop. ther are plenty of good deals to be found.

David
David Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Major Player

I bought my XL2 recently and I got it "used", but only because I was prepared to be patient. I knew that there were good deals to be had, but I wanted to protect myself from scammers. I mostly used graigslist.com, which is a classifieds listing. They're international now, including London. I checked here at DVInfo and some others as well.

By biding my time, I ended up with an XL2 with only 20 hours on it, Manfrotto 525MVB sticks and 503 head, custom Porta Brace bag, JVC SR-VS30U deck and a bag full of new tapes, cables, do-dads and knick-knacks for $4,500 - basically the cost of the new XL2. Everything was in pristine condition and the guy (professional videographer moving to HD) drove the 50 miles from Yonkers to deliver it.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion