Television cameras? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old November 21st, 2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Television cameras?

What kind of cameras are those that are used to tape shows like American Chopper, Monster Garage, etc? Are those Beta Cameras? Why do they use those, verus using something like the XL2?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Anything and everything is used for professional broadcast these days. From the Sony PD150, Panasonic DVX100 and Canon GL2 up to DigiBeta, Varicam and F900. You name it, somebody has put something on television with it. If the content is compelling, nobody cares what it was shot with anymore.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. They did some behind the scenes show of American Chopper. One of the camera guys stated "I have to lug this 30 pound camera around all day" It got me to thinking, why does everyone use these big cameras, instead of something lighter and compact?
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Major Player

AC perhaps uses whatever's to hand. If you've ever watched "Myth Busters" you'll see, in some shots, one guy lugging a full-size camcorder and others toting what I call "handycams". It all comes out of the drier the same shade!

Broadcast Quality is whatever is shown.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM   #5
Trustee

i recently had some footage used on monster garage, but they could only use it on the sd version of the show; they shoot everything in hi-def.
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Adam, they are using the Panasonic Varicam as the primary cameras and for the BTS special the cast shot with the Sony Z1. I bet they use that thing all the time on the typical episodes too because it intercuts with the Varicam footage very well.

Relative Thread
www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=54649

Last edited by James Emory; November 22nd, 2005 at 06:03 PM.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion