XL2 vs XL1s physical visual difference? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #16
Trustee

my point is that you may get your so-called "full access" pass, but you may not get full access to the entire track... largely because of insurance issues... it doesn't matter who you are or what you shoot, the track has the final say in where you can stand at their track... it can be a real pia.

formula d... you might have gotten track access for photos, but you will not be able to shoot any video for commercial use... or much else for that matter, i bet that they won't even allow you to bring your video camera to the track... the formula d circuit was set up originally to sell dvd's, it's a big market over in japan, they do not want us around.

need more examples of discrimination against video, vs. what you did with stills? call up april at the nhra home office in pomona, and talk to her about track access to shoot video... or better yet, call up nopi/ndra, tell 'em that you want to make a video of their sport compact drag racing events... see how far you get with that, lol.

my point is that you'll probably want to research what's accessible for shooting video, before spending a dime on video gear... i think that your photography relationships with the local tracks are going to be a huge plus... there is a lot of pro mod stuff going on down south that we don't have out here, for instance, and it could be a market that is not fully utilized.

there are also drag racing events in florida that are targeted at the spanish-speaking population; everything going over the loudspeaker is in spanish, lol... if you can speak spanish, and target that market, it could be very interesting!
Dan Euritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #17
New Boot

i talked to fred (VP) at slipstream (formula D) last year and he says as long as you use it for free online use only, it is fine, which is all i intend it for. I covered all but 1 race last year for formula D, and plan to cover every race this year, starting with long beach april 2nd.

NHRA Powerade series (top fuel, pro stock, etc) wont let you do video. I know the owner of the local track here and I can video anything that comes here, which is anything from NOPI NDRA to NMRA.

I generally dont video tape things like IRL or Champ Car series bc of the limited area you are in as far as only being able to get specific corners, so i will only worry about photos for those events. Same goes for like the 24hrs for daytona and 12hrs of sebring.

Also a lot of what I cover are just local put on events, like local drift events at orlando speedworld, track nights, stuff like that. They all email me bc they want me to come and take vids and pics at the misc events.

I just bought a Canon XL1-s with 2 year extended warantee left on ebay for 2076.
came with the normal kit plus the extras below. im glad its a 72mm lens too, bc thats the same size for my lenses on my still.

http://www.hsfacoustics.com/auctions/images/x2l.jpg
extras
Canon 72mm UV filter for lens protection
Canon 72mm circular polarizing filter
Canon 72mm neutral density ND8 filter
Tiffen 72mm Black Pro-Mist 1/2 filter
(2) BP-941 high capacity battery packs (plus the stocker)
MA-200 Microphone Adapter/Shoulder Pad
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #18
Trustee

congrats on the camera! can't wait to see some footage... that info on the formula d drifting is pretty interesting... drift is huge out here.

i don't know that there is much video coverage of the nmra? it could be a niche market... there are a lot of motorsports opportunities down in your neck of the woods.
Old January 16th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #19
New Boot

yea my brother was pretty much it with his handicam. he looks forward to me teaching him how to use the XL1s as i do my stills.

you going to the long beach grand prix or the season opener for Formula D at the grand prix the week prior? ill be out for both.
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #20
Trustee

i started shooting some surfing stuff, so i've got more work than i can handle right now... i've heard that the long beach grand prix is a blast, you guys are gonna have fun!
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #21
New Boot

yea i shot it last year, it was great.
Mark Ryan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion