Bad Idea? Picnic Bag... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 17th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Bad Idea? Picnic Bag...

I'm not sure what forum to put this in, so I picked this one. I have this picnic bag that would fit my FX1 perfectly, with plenty of pockets for accessories. However, I'm not sure if it would be "safe" to use it or not. It's one of those special cooler/heat bags, that is meant to keep food and stuff either cold or hot inside. The ones with the white interior.

I know it's a bit of a silly questions, but does anyone know if using one of these bags would be a good idea or not? I'm just not sure if the insulated properties of the bag might enhance the moisture or screw with the temperature enough to mess up my camera.
Robert Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #2
Major Player

It's not silly, but practical. If it cushions the camera, etc., protecting them from hard knocks, fine. If not, go to Plan B.

You do have a Plan B, don't you?

The only thing I'd worry about in this "case" is the same one that has troubled people since the coming of the Thermos bottle: Sure, it keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold, but how does it know?!
Old January 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Trustee

Insulation is generally a good thing. It slows the thermal cycling of your equipment. The only thing to look out for is taking your bag with camera from a very cold environment to a warm, humid area. The bag isn't really relevant, it is when you open the bag that counts. If you can go into a warm environment and let the bag and camera acclimate, that is best. If you are going indoors in the winter, it shouldn't be too much of a problem since the general humidity is low. I live in Hawaii and keep my VX2000 in an airtight case with lots of foam. I have had no problems with humidity because I try to keep the temperature stable. If you have never been here, Hawaii is quite humid year-round.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion