Looking for Variable Neutral Density filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 5th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Looking for Variable Neutral Density filters?

I am looking for Variable Neutral density filters. These are things where you can select the density your want, even on the fly.

I am interested in what variety is out there, anybody know?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM   #2
Major Player

I've never used them, but I've heard that the ones sold here are really good:
http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Major Player

You can make one yourself from a pair of polarizing filters. When they are in congruence, they'll have twice their filter factor, and a 90-degree twist will block all light. Downside is not knowing the exact reduction at any point between, but you could guestimate it and use a metallic Sharpie to mark the points of min and max and in-between.
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I remember it when I had a look at the one above (it even says that it will work with anything but polarisers). I am still interested in seeing what other solutions are available, as even the best polarisers I've seen kill a lot of light. I would like to find something that is almost clear, so it can be left on the camera in all conditions, as I walk around.

I've had a few ideas in times past on how to make one, but they are complex, or sloppy, a good manufactured product would be nice.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #5
Major Player

If you're looking for something that doesn't kill light, neutral density filters aren't what you need. If you simply want to protect the lens, get a UV filter but remember there are situations you'll need to remove it or it will affect your image which is why I personally don't like them.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I still want a ND like reduction, but something you can turn down to nearly 0 ND, so I can walk into a low light situation without having to ever remove it. Once you get below 50% light loss, polarisers cost heaps too. I think the one above is two 50% polarisers because of the two stop loss minimum. I think I might have a solution for a polariser that can have light loss of much less than 50% hopefully down to less than 10%, but unfortunately I haven't got the ability or equipment to design it. It was a solution to another problem I was thinking of today.

Anyway, so are polarisers the only solution out there?

Thanks

Wayne.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion