DV applications in broadcast news at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old February 13th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DV applications in broadcast news

I'm a TV journalist in England, about to undergo a three week course in videojournalism using PD150.

Any other journos here using DV? I'm very keen to hear of your experiences.

Personally, I want to distance myself as far as possible from the "accepted" method of delivering news to the television; I want to be a film-maker, a storyteller... I even think we can learn from theories of classical storytelling, the idea of a story being centred on conflict on one or more levels, in a three-act structure. Anyone know what I'm on about?

I realise that as a neophyte, I might be suffering from delusional enthusiasm... your thoughts welcomed!

Recommended reading - "Story" by Robert McKee, "The Writer's Journey" by Christopher Vogler.

Best

Damian
Damian O'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #2
Major Player

That would definitely make the news more interesting! I think DV is perfectly suited for journalism purposes, especially in world affairs today; the cameras are small and lightweight, the media is smaller and cheaper. I bet in a few years, cameras like the XL1 will replace the Betacams in the newsrooms. It's already happening in some places.. here in Victoria, the New VI uses DVCAMs for their studio news reports.
Old February 13th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Damien

<< Recommended reading - "Story" by Robert McKee, "The Writer's Journey" by Christopher Vogler. >>

We always like to talk about good books around here! Could you please post about these books in our "Read About It" forum devoted to good reading material -- tell us a little about each title. The link is http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisp...?s=&forumid=36

Thanks!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The New VI has the most advanced studios in Canada, and maybe even North America (for now at least). It is fully Digital (SDI between everything), and primarily shoot on Sony’s DSR 500 although they do have a few PD150s and I have seen them with a XL1S with the 14X manual lens. The methods the New VI use are just outstanding in my opinion. I love the way CHUM run their stations.

Alex

P.S. Just about all-local, and regional stations are acquiring video via Digital Vide camcorders with a None Drop frame Time Code (DVCAM, DVCPRO), all though there are vary few stations on a 100% Digital interface. For instance at CH, television they drop all their DVCPRO tapes down to BETA SP unlike the NEW VI load every thing onto an AVID Airspace system (or similar system).
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Reporting truth (the news) via age-old techniques invented to dramatize fiction? Not unusual but I personally think it belongs in an editorial environment such as documentaries or feature films. I think the opinion and methodology of the storyteller may alter the reality of the event.

Then again, journalism has become all about ratings, teasers, opinions portrayed as fact and sensationalism; you may be on the right track afterall.

It brings to mind Akira Kurosawa's Roshamon, an intellectual masterpiece of altered perceptions following a rape and murder. The same story is re-told from the point-of-views of the participants and as you might imagine, tends to favor the individual telling their side of the incident. If you haven't seen it, I encourage you to take a look. Even if you don't see my point, it is an excellent example of dramatic storytelling.

Good luck with DV.

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion