Airline Travel Cases at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #1
Tourist

Airline Travel Cases

Greetings production experts! I'm working on an indie doc that is going to take me up and down the west coast on a lot of airline trips. I need a solid case I can check in, and would like to keep it away from the $75 baggage fee on united for weight. Here's a short list of things I want to throw in it:

1 Bogen Manfrotto 503 Tripod (30" when collapsed)
3 Arri light stands (26" when collapsed)
1 Pro light
1 Tota light w/ umbrella
1 Collapsible reflector
5" LCD field monitor

I am favoring the Kata Multilong or Tripolarge wheeled bags right now.

The Kata Palms 1 might work, but it barely fits the tripod length I think.

Also like the Maze 4, but exceeds 62" size limits.
Portabrace WPR-30 exceeds 62" size limits.
Pelicans will eat up all the weight in the case alone.

Everytime I think I make a decision, I find some new reason that a bag won't work, and I'm back to the drawing board. So I'd love to hear from those of you with experience getting this stuff on and off an airliner.
Shannon Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Shannon and welcome to DVi,

I have flown up and down the California for the past 5 years with equipment. I use two Pelicans 1620s that when packed weigh 50 pounds each. SouthWest Air charges $25 if a checked bag is over 50 pounds. I stopped checking anything fragile, because no matter how careully I packed it, TSA takes it all apart and throws it back in the case. They would take my mixer out of its zippered bag and not put it back and then put it on top of a mic stand. They then leave me a note saying they checked my bag (like I couldn't tell). A couple of pieces of gear got damaged, so I now check only non-breakable items and carry on the rest in a Pelican 1510. My suitcase and the three Pelicans fit on a Smart Carte and into the trunk of a cab. Baggage handlers will distroy a soft bag. My Pelicans have many deep gashes.
Glenn Davidson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion