DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   satelite video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/71821-satelite-video.html)

John M. McCloskey July 19th, 2006 11:48 AM

satelite video

I know this is possible, news stations do it daily, What is the blueprint and what would the field producer need with him. Concerning beeming live video back to the receiving production room. Lets say a one man video guy goes into the mountains running a HVRZ1u and has to travel light. His main concern is sending live video from the mountains via a portable satelite with audio. What hardware would he need to accomplish this. The receiving room would then broadcast it live or with a small delay. What kind of satelite and hardware would the camera guy need in the mountains, what are the choices. Thanks.

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 11:59 AM

Pick up an issue of DV Magazine, and there is a company selling satelite transmission setups with a laptop. It will allow you to capture and broadcast live video over the internet. Is that sort of what you want?

Greg Boston July 19th, 2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
Pick up an issue of DV Magazine, and there is a company selling satelite transmission setups with a laptop. It will allow you to capture and broadcast live video over the internet. Is that sort of what you want?

Keith, I believe he wants to send back video via satellite they way news stations do it.

These days, a lot of remote video coming from freelancers is encoded to MPEG2 at 6 to 8 mbs bandwidth and fed to satellite or if internet is available, via FTP. CNN and TWC take these kinds of feeds.

At Sony's NAB press conference, they demonstrated a live HD feed over a 2.5mbs internet connection being projected on the main presentation screen. It looked awesome! Of course, that requires RT hardware encoding.

-gb-

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
Keith, I believe he wants to send back video via satellite they way news stations do it.

-gb-

The setup I was reffering to, I believe runs around $11,000. How much for the setup the stations use? That is microwave, right?

John M. McCloskey July 19th, 2006 01:04 PM

great stuff, could you give away some links to a setup like this. I need to forward some info on prices and setups to the man in charge here. Thanks allot.

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 01:23 PM

Man... Now I have to get up and dig out an old issue... ;) Gee, I had to really dig back a few years, but here's a place to look- www.dvlaptop.com .

John M. McCloskey July 19th, 2006 01:41 PM

I know it was a chore digging up the info but sure do appreciate it. Any other info would also be appreciated at any time, no rush. Thanks.

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 02:22 PM

You know what I know... which doesn't seem like much, does it? Sorry, but at least it's free ;)

John M. McCloskey July 19th, 2006 02:45 PM

You the man, Thanks again

Boyd Ostroff July 19th, 2006 03:12 PM

John, I had to remove the other thread you started on this same topic. Please don't cross-post, it's against DVinfo policy. If you want your thread moved to another forum just ask and a moderator will be glad to help. Thanks.

http://www.dvinfo.net/network/policy.php

Quote:

Cross-posts. Pick the ONE most appropriate forum for your thread and post it there. All other copies will be removed. If you're not sure where your post belongs, put it in the Open DV Discussion forum, and we'll move it appropriately, leaving behind a re-directing link.

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 03:27 PM

Is that what cross posting is? I thought it involved wearing high heels... doh!

Sorry Boyd, my medication is still being adjusted ;)

John M. McCloskey July 19th, 2006 03:42 PM

Sorry about the cross thread, Boyd what Forum do you think this thread should be under, I could'nt relate this 'live video feed' idea to one in particular. Again sorry about that, just trying to gain some knowledge. Won't happen again.

K. Forman July 19th, 2006 03:44 PM

If they have a problem with where it's at, they'll move it, and let you know. These guys are always hard at work.

Greg Boston July 19th, 2006 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M. McCloskey
Sorry about the cross thread, Boyd what Forum do you think this thread should be under, I could'nt relate this 'live video feed' idea to one in particular. Again sorry about that, just trying to gain some knowledge. Won't happen again.

The 'Tools of DV Production' would probably be the best location for an inquiry such as this.

As Boyd said, it's better to have one thread in the wrong forum which we can move, than to have crossposts in several forums.

Why are we opposed to crossposting, you ask?

Because we want folks to be able to search and find information more effectively. That means having all the responses to a given inquiry like yours in one place. It also keeps respondents from feeling like they have to answer the same post in multiple locations.

regards,

-gb-

John M. McCloskey July 20th, 2006 08:19 AM

If anyone has any suggestions concerning a hardware and software live, wireless, video package the info would be greatly appreciated. I need to know what is available for the Field guy(transmitting rig). The field guy would be running a Z1 with audio. He would need to transmit video and audio wireless. Sorry I accidentally changed the topic of this thread into a cross threading issue, just trying to get it back to the beginning topic. Thanks