Distribution Amp Needed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old January 25th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Distribution Amp Needed?

An upcoming project will require that a live feed from my XL1S be used to drive two projection TVs, one on each side of the stage in a fairly large high school auditorium. I don't know exactly what the distance from camera to projectors will be, but since two will be used, I will probably need a DA of some sort.

Can anyone recommend a good, portable solution. If I have to purchase something for this project, it might as well be something I could use in the studio for multiple tape duplication as well.

All suggestions are appreciated.

Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2002, 09:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

There are a number of portable options that would work for you. I assume you can use AC power.

If you'll give Mike Belile or myself a call during office hours, we can look at pages with the various options and see if one doesn't suit you. The Comprehensive or TecNec catalogs are a good place to start.

Craig

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 07:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Craig,

Thanks for responding. I checked your website but didn't find any equipment such as DAs and Line Drivers listed. Do you carry these products?

I had been looking at products from the manufacturers you mentioned, but wasn't sure what the difference between a DA and Line Driver was exactly. I also need to get more information about the distances involved and specific equipment before making an informed decision. I will give you a call when I can better describe the situation.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2002, 07:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Ed,

Yes, although we have not added everything to the website as of yet, we do carry all those type items, primarily on a special order basis.

I don't think you're going to need a line driver unless your cables are exceptionally long. Regardless, I think a DA is appropriate to split your signal while maintaining the quality of the source.

Give us a call and we'll research it for you.

cb

BS, Radio-TV-Film, University of Texas

http://www.pro-tape.com

Adobe - AJA - Apple - Avid - Audio Technica - Bogen - Canon - Denon - Digidesign - Fuji - Gitzo - JVC - Lowell - Marantz - Maxell - Panasonic - Primera - Rimage - Samson - Sennheiser - Sony - TDK - Varizoom - Waves - more!
Craig Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2002, 04:34 PM   #5
Machinist Mate

I don't know if this is something you have a source for MrTapeGuy, but this is what I use: CE Labs Cable Electronics Model 700. Seven Output, True One-to-One Ratio DA. It is small, 9"x2.5"x1" excluding mounting tabs, and runs on 15 volts DC (comes with wall wart power supply). It's not fancy or gee-whiz, and it does not have S-Video connections, which I guess would really push the price up. Maybe something similar can be found from one of your other manufacturers.

I use it to feed my stack of dubbing decks, and tomorrow I am using it in a situation similar to Ed's, where I am playing back a tape into three TVs. You definitely want to use a DA when splitting the signal.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion