DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Camera Storage Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/92117-camera-storage-question.html)

Mike Cooper April 22nd, 2007 04:01 PM

Camera Storage Question

I have a FX1 and wondered if it's okay to leave the dv cassette tape in the camera for long periods of time while in storage?

Waldemar Winkler April 22nd, 2007 04:40 PM

Personally, I would never do that. But, I can't think of a reason why not.

More importantly, if you use lithium-ion batteries, insure they are drained if you plan to store for long period (my baseline is over 30 days).

Boyd Ostroff April 22nd, 2007 04:41 PM

Hi Mike, welcome to DVinfo.

I don't know what the official answer to this question is, but I leave tapes in my Z1 for long periods of time and haven't had any problems. Same thing with my VX-2000 and PDX-10. No problems with these either.

Your mileage may vary :-)

Jonathan Jones April 22nd, 2007 10:26 PM

My understanding of concern over such storage methods is the following:

When the tape is loaded into the machine, the drive and track mechanisms spool the tape through the head and capstan componets. The segments of tape that are despooled are no longer wound inside the cassette casing, and as such are more exposed to potential 'expand' and 'contract' cycles due to potential temperature differentials as are common to seasonal or even day/night cycles.

The theory is that even though it is a very small length of tape that may be affected, given enough temperature cycles, you introduce greater potential for tape pinch or tape stretch that could prove problematic to time code or drop outs.

Thats just what I heard, and it sounds logical, but I've never experienced such problems as I never keep the tapes in the cams beyond recording, playback or capturing.

-Jon

Mike Cooper April 24th, 2007 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the helpful insight!

Michael Ferreira April 24th, 2007 10:48 PM

Jon's facts are mostly spot on.

I never leave my tapes in.. the way i see it... unless the camera is ready togo RUN AND GUN!!.. why not take an extra step for the heck of safe keeping.

Nothing bad can happen from taking the tape out... but the same can't be said about leaving the tape in...

cameras are sensitive little buggers. any little thing as simple as it might sound to us might make them act up.

~Mike

Matthew Craggs April 25th, 2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler (Post 665272)
More importantly, if you use lithium-ion batteries, insure they are drained if you plan to store for long period (my baseline is over 30 days).

I have never heard of this before but it sounds like something I should know. What is the reason for draining Lithium-Ion batteries that will go unused for 30 days?

Alessandro Machi April 26th, 2007 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs (Post 667630)
I have never heard of this before but it sounds like something I should know. What is the reason for draining Lithium-Ion batteries that will go unused for 30 days?

I am curious as well. I have been told that if a lead acid battery's voltage drops below 11 volts it can be permanently damaged, but I have not heard the same for lithium ion.

Waldemar Winkler April 26th, 2007 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs (Post 667630)

Quote from page 99 of the Canon Xl1s Manual:

"If you do not use a battery pack for a period of more than a few months any remaining charge may cause damage to the battery pack, and reduce usage time. To prevent damage therefore, aim to use a battery pack's complete charge before storing."

My first MiniDV camera was a GL1. Either I missed a similar statement in that camera's manual or simply forgot. In any case, I didn't use the camera during the winter for three months. Upon bringing the camera out of storage I quickly discovered two of my three batteries would not power the camera for more than five minutes. Subsequent recharges did not resolve the problem. I finally took the batteries to a local industrial battery store to have them tested. They had been ruined.

Between advice from the battery people and the above quote I arbitrarily chose 30 days as my limit for storing a charged battery. No disappointing surprises so far.

Alessandro Machi April 26th, 2007 07:51 AM

Can you clarify what type of batteries they were? Lead acid batteries will do exactly what you described if their voltage drops below a certain level while in storage.

Waldemar Winkler April 27th, 2007 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alessandro Machi (Post 667806)
Can you clarify what type of batteries they were? Lead acid batteries will do exactly what you described if their voltage drops below a certain level while in storage.

They were Canon Lithium-Ion batteries.