DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   AG-HMC150 Regarding Final Cut Express (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/466047-ag-hmc150-regarding-final-cut-express.html)

Alex Hawt October 19th, 2009 10:51 AM

AG-HMC150 Regarding Final Cut Express

Hello,
I am currently in the research phase for choosing my new camcorder. I will be working on a macbook pro with final cut express 4.0.1 (everything up to date). The Panasonic AG-HMC150 is my top choice.
I am wondering however will i need to convert video shot with the hmc150 to bring it into FCE? I downloaded some hmc150 test footage and the video was in a .MTS format (an avchd format). FCE nor quicktime would not accept the .mts format and i had to use a program called Voltaic to convert the sample files to a quicktime/fce friendly format.
My question is.. Is this .MTS format what the HMC-150 records in? If not will I be able to bring video files from the camera's card onto my hard drive and edit them in FCE without having to do any conversion?
I do not want to have to fool with any slow conversions to edit my video. Any help with my question would be appreciated.

(I have also been looking at the JVC GY-HM700U which shoots in FCE friendly .mov files. I have downloaded test footage shot with the JVC and i was able to bring the video files into FCE flawlessly. I may go with this camera instead depending on what i hear from you guys on this thread.)

Bob Diaz October 21st, 2009 10:30 AM

For conversion to Quicktime, Voltaic does work, but is somewhat slow. I like to use Toast, which is much faster and does about the same job.

FCE (Final Cut Express) is limited to 720/30p and 1080/60i. I assume that if you shoot in 1080/30p, it's converted to 1080/60i.

You have also hit upon the key thing that the JVC camera offers, shooting in Quicktime for Native editing on the Apple; no conversion required. However, this is going to be a trade-off decision, because for about the same price, $3,500 USA, the Panasonic HMC150 is 1/3" CCD, the JVC HM100 is 1/4" CCD.

Low light performance is going to be worse fro the 1/4" image sensor. In looking at the JVC specifications: Minimum illumination: 5lx (typical) (1920x1080 mode, F1.8, +18dB,
with 16-frame accumulation) The 16-frame accumulation sounds like a slow shutter; if so, 60/16 = 3.75 FPS

The Panasonic says: Minimum Luminance: 3 lx (when F1.6, +12dB of gain and 1/25 sec. of shutter speed)

There are other features you'll have to consider and decide which are the most important to you.

Bob Diaz

Alex Hawt October 24th, 2009 04:02 PM

thankyou for the advice. you have bee helpful.

Chuck Fadely October 25th, 2009 12:28 PM

For normal AVCHD files, you use Log & Transfer in Final Cut Express. It automatically and transparently takes care of everything. You need the whole file structure of the SDHC card from the "Private" folder on down, though - it won't work on just the .mts files.

Alex Hawt October 26th, 2009 09:05 AM

so does the hmc150 record in .mts files?

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 11:46 AM

Yes it does.