DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/)
-   -   2in1Q: Cinegamma-V, Cinegamma-D and/or Cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-avccam-camcorders/466287-2in1q-cinegamma-v-cinegamma-d-cineform.html)

Ben Tolosa October 22nd, 2009 06:51 PM

2in1Q: Cinegamma-V, Cinegamma-D and/or Cineform

Friends,

I've got a HMC-150 and I am trying to achieve 'film look' to my footage (short movie [1080p/24p]). Looking at the 150's settings, I discovered two dynamic range settings called 'Cinegamma-V' and 'Cinegamma-D'.

The manual description of 'Cinegamma-V' is that is for video out and 'Cinegamma-D' is for film out.

Besides what the description suggest, what's the different between both? I surfed the web for answers and I couldn't find anything. Even Wikipedia doesn't have a good detailed description between both.

So, I was wondering if you can please explain me the difference with some more detail than just the manual's description.

I've also heard about Cineform. I went to wikipedia and to their website and learned they have all these different products:

neoscene
prospecthd
prospect4k
neohd
neo4k
neo3d
cineddr

My second question is: Do I need or want to use Cineform even tough I have 'Cinegamma-D' and 'Cinegamma-D' as dynamic range settings on my HMC-150?

If so,.. why?

And which one of their products then?

I am using Final Cut Studio.

Thank you very much in advantage!!

Kind regards,

Ben Tolosa

Barry Green October 23rd, 2009 11:17 AM

I go into some measure of detail about it in The HMC150 Book. Basically, cine-D is designed to give you the flattest contrast and the most extended latitude. It delivers a look that is *very* different from typical video cameras. It can be used directly on television if you like the look, but it can also be used for digital grading and even eventual filmout or blu-ray mastering. It's the flattest curve for the most flexibility in post.

Cine-V is somewhat like cine-D, but it's tuned for direct display on a television. The only big difference is that it has a lot more contrast to it (less dynamic range, sharper blacks and less highlight retention). That creates a snappier contrastier look that many people prefer on their televisions.

Ben Tolosa October 29th, 2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 1436871)
I go into some measure of detail about it in The HMC150 Book. Basically, cine-D is designed to give you the flattest contrast and the most extended latitude. It delivers a look that is *very* different from typical video cameras. It can be used directly on television if you like the look, but it can also be used for digital grading and even eventual filmout or blu-ray mastering. It's the flattest curve for the most flexibility in post.

Cine-V is somewhat like cine-D, but it's tuned for direct display on a television. The only big difference is that it has a lot more contrast to it (less dynamic range, sharper blacks and less highlight retention). That creates a snappier contrastier look that many people prefer on their televisions.

Barry,

Thanks you very much, this is all I needed to know!

Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Kind Regards ^_^

Ben Tolosa

Jeff Baker December 3rd, 2009 02:13 PM

Cine D sounds perfect for me, since I always work the color in editing using Magic Bullets Looks application. But I understand that some settings like Dynamic Stretch (?) can only be used in certain modes.