2in1Q: Cinegamma-V, Cinegamma-D and/or Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Major Player

2in1Q: Cinegamma-V, Cinegamma-D and/or Cineform

Friends,

I've got a HMC-150 and I am trying to achieve 'film look' to my footage (short movie [1080p/24p]). Looking at the 150's settings, I discovered two dynamic range settings called 'Cinegamma-V' and 'Cinegamma-D'.

The manual description of 'Cinegamma-V' is that is for video out and 'Cinegamma-D' is for film out.

Besides what the description suggest, what's the different between both? I surfed the web for answers and I couldn't find anything. Even Wikipedia doesn't have a good detailed description between both.

So, I was wondering if you can please explain me the difference with some more detail than just the manual's description.

I've also heard about Cineform. I went to wikipedia and to their website and learned they have all these different products:

neoscene
prospecthd
prospect4k
neohd
neo4k
neo3d
cineddr

My second question is: Do I need or want to use Cineform even tough I have 'Cinegamma-D' and 'Cinegamma-D' as dynamic range settings on my HMC-150?

If so,.. why?

And which one of their products then?

I am using Final Cut Studio.

Thank you very much in advantage!!

Kind regards,

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

I go into some measure of detail about it in The HMC150 Book. Basically, cine-D is designed to give you the flattest contrast and the most extended latitude. It delivers a look that is *very* different from typical video cameras. It can be used directly on television if you like the look, but it can also be used for digital grading and even eventual filmout or blu-ray mastering. It's the flattest curve for the most flexibility in post.

Cine-V is somewhat like cine-D, but it's tuned for direct display on a television. The only big difference is that it has a lot more contrast to it (less dynamic range, sharper blacks and less highlight retention). That creates a snappier contrastier look that many people prefer on their televisions.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green View Post
I go into some measure of detail about it in The HMC150 Book. Basically, cine-D is designed to give you the flattest contrast and the most extended latitude. It delivers a look that is *very* different from typical video cameras. It can be used directly on television if you like the look, but it can also be used for digital grading and even eventual filmout or blu-ray mastering. It's the flattest curve for the most flexibility in post.

Cine-V is somewhat like cine-D, but it's tuned for direct display on a television. The only big difference is that it has a lot more contrast to it (less dynamic range, sharper blacks and less highlight retention). That creates a snappier contrastier look that many people prefer on their televisions.

Barry,

Thanks you very much, this is all I needed to know!

Once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Kind Regards ^_^

Ben Tolosa
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Cine D sounds perfect for me, since I always work the color in editing using Magic Bullets Looks application. But I understand that some settings like Dynamic Stretch (?) can only be used in certain modes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders