HMC40 Video: Mardron Marsh, Torrance, CA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HMC40 Video: Mardron Marsh, Torrance, CA

The Madrona Marsh isn't too far from my house and is unique, because it's one of the few marshes in our area that's in a major city.

The video was shot with the HMC40 and edited with Final Cut Express.

Bob Diaz
Bob Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: HMC40 Video: Mardron Marsh, Torrance, CA

I enjoyed the scenes in this video. But I do not understand why there is no corresponding sound track with scene sounds? Audio is a big component of video; the sounds of nature add a lot to scenes like this; good video cameras have good sound capabilties. I see (and hear) this a lot: a music track replaces actual sounds.

What's going on? Defective camera audio? Too difficult?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The reason the audio was not there was it was total garbage. The problem was the fact that the marsh has 2 major streets with heavy traffic on one side and 2 minor streets with less traffic. The Madrona Marsh is in the middle of a big city and is one of the few marshes in our area like that.

In recording the video I was careful to put the angle so that the street was not visible in most shots. However, the traffic noise was very loud and couldn't be masked.

IF the marsh had been in a remote location without all the noise, I would have included the audio from the marsh.

Bob Diaz
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Nice stuff Bob!

Did you use any ND filters? The reason I'm asking is because I just shot at a state park this past weekend with one of my HMC40's, and had to use a .6 ND filter and shoot at f/11 just to keep it at the point that the sky wasn't blown out.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I really need to break down any purchase ND filters.

In this video, I just used a higher shutter speed, 1/500 of a second to get the lower F-Stops. The biggest danger with the higher shutter speeds is that the video can take on a strobe like effect with fast motion.

Bob Diaz
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #6
Major Player

The Tiffen ones I got at B&H are working well for me, and came in around the $15-$20 mark.
Corey Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders