Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old April 27th, 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000?

I'm considering moving up from a Sony A1U and a Nikon DSLR to the HMC150

It is a little old - but I cannot seem to find anythig else with comparable feature at $3k?

Thoughts?
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Is the HMC150 still a viable option at $3000?

Hi Chris

I have always loved Panasonic's colour and camera control..I know Sony is good but the cameras leave me cold!! Maybe rent one and try it for yourself??? I run HMC82's cos I'm in PAL country and also I love a shoulder mount camera!!! Wouldn't exchange mine for anything they produce stunning footage !! If I got 150's it would mean I needed to also get shoulder mount rigs too which would have stretched the budget.

The 150 is still an awesome camera otherwise it wouldn't still be in production!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #3
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

Chris,

You also can get an even better deal on an HMC150 buying b-stock. We are one of Panasonic's biggest dealers for b-stock.

B-stock is sometimes refurbished, but often it is simply gear that Panasonic sends to a trade show and then can't sell as new. It's a great way to get an even better deal on a camera that already is a good value.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services
Allan Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino View Post
I'm considering moving up from a Sony A1U and a Nikon DSLR to the HMC150

It is a little old - but I cannot seem to find anythig else with comparable feature at $3k?

Thoughts?
I really like shooting with DSLRs, but they do have their limitations. For that reason I still shoot with the Panny HMC150 for certain scenarios. As of today, IMHO, the HMC150 offers the best bang for the buck of any HD video camera. I am anxious to see the new 130 and 160 that were announced at NAB, but if you had to buy a video camera today with a budget of $3k, my choice would be the HMC150 and since Omega Broadcast has B stock for only $2495, that's like a no brainer over buying a used one for the same price.

Now if you can wait several months you have a couple of options. You may want the 130 with it's reported improved low light capabilities, 1920 resolution chips, better LCD screen and dual card slots, or if those improvements are not of importance, you can probably get a deal on an old stock HMC150 when the new 130 hits the streets.
Old May 5th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #5
Inner Circle

As you say Chris, 'it's a little old', but then so too is the Sennheiser K6/ME66, and look how well that sells year after year. The HMC150 (151 in PAL land) just got things right up front. They moved to SD card when Sony were still bringing out new MiniDV cams and Canon were doing neither.

So I'd safely say you'd get a great deal on the 150 right now. Go out there and drive a hard bargain, knowing that it's soon to be replaced (if it hasn't been already) but that fact alone doesn't diminish the camera's fine record of achievement to date.

And remember, it's not what you cradle between your palms that makes good films, it's what's cradled between your ears that matters.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Major Player

+1 there, Tom amd Mark. I have 2 of them and they are very satisfying to use. Best bet in that price range, to be sure.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

It's the camera I choose because when we got one everyone was saying how good it was. I really like ours and we're getting great footage from it. The AVCHD work-flow on Premier is wonderful with the comp set-up I've got.

Would I change if I could afford it? I'm not sure. I don't think I could get anything better unless I moved up several price brackets. I would definitely recommend it though.
Steve Mellor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders