ND Filters for the AC90 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders

Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders
AVCHD for pro applications: AG-AC160, AC130 and other AVCCAM gear.

Old January 21st, 2014, 12:03 PM   #1
Major Player

ND Filters for the AC90

Really liking the price point, low-light capability, and many other things about the AC90, and looking to add it to our gear. But one thing I hate is no built in switchable ND filters! We do weddings, so the thought of adding a filter every time we are inside, outside, back and forth is horrifying.

What do you use, and does anyone have experience with the Xume magnetic system? Open to other suggestions as well!!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: ND Filters for the AC90

The ac90 has integrated automatic ND filters I believe.

Edit: here it's confirmed: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...nican-Republic
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:22 PM   #3
Major Player

I've been following every thread and review of this camera for months, considering purchase, and the general consensus is that adding an ND filter is very helpful for bright outdoors, otherwise at small aperture the picture quality suffers a lot. The built-in deal is not enough.

Just Googled "AC-90 ND filter" and found a wealth of info

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Katie, I hardly ever have to use the screw on filters. Only if your in direct, bright sunlight, which for us is almost never. Maybe the only time is when I get moving shots of B&G going from the photo shoot spot (which was in the shade) back to the church and then I don't bother putting the filter on. You still get usable footage, just don't have the iris in that sweet spot that the AC90 likes.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Go Cycle

A ND filter is a necessity for outside scenes. But be careful because if the ND filter is too dark, reds and maroon colors turn dark grey or even black. I forgot the physics involved, but I believe it has to do with filtering infra-red outdoor lighting.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Trustee

Also, go for a good brand - B+W, MRC filters are pretty good. Cheaper NDs are going to give you color casts and other prob lems.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic AVCCAM Camcorders