Operating the GS100K - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old July 26th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #16
Major Player

Proud owner of GS 100 K S

Hi,
I wire transferred money to pricejapan on wednesday afternoon, received gs100k on friday morning. Very reliable service from price japan.

Now anybody able to provide 953 or gs 70 manual in word document, Patricia, did u have any updates on this?

I started playing with this camera, with all the manual controls. and low light manual mode is good. I dont have any other camcorder to compare with.

How to transform dv and card pictures to computer. do i need to purchase firewire hardware?

The japanese cd has some program to play with, but all in japanese, so no use. so what program we have to use for this dv transfer to computer.

your input is appreciated
Thanks
sam
Samuel Raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 02:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Samuel, your best bet at this time is to re-read this thread and to download the various translations offered by Masaki and Mike. Eng Yew has helped format Masaki's original translation of the menus and buttons of the camcorder, which should make it easier for you to work with them. For transferring dv tape footage to your computer, you do need to have a firewire port on your computer and use a firewire cable. For transferring mpeg4 or still shots on the SD card, use the provided USB cable - but download the software that came with the computer first. If you use a Mac, the software will not work, so just use a card reader that is compatible with whichever OS you are using. It's possible, if you use a PC, that the card reader will also work for the PC if you can't download the software from the CD. (I am assuming, by the way, that you have the latest version of whichever operating system you are using and whichever editing/playback software.)

Other important tip which I learned from Frank - pick one brand of tape (Frank recommends Fuji) and stick with it. Changing tape brands can apparently end up damaging the heads of your camcorder.

Eng Yew, Marius and Masaki-san are real pillars with regard to helping out new owners. They are all technically adept (I'm just a point and shooter) and I'm sure will try to offer any support they can.

Enjoy.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Sam,

I used the manual from GS70 to undestand many things. It works out perfectly.

In order to transfer DV to your computer you need a firewire port(be it on mainboard or on a card you'll buy). If you have to buy a firewire card make sure it uses a Texas Instruments chip, since this are the best as I heared.
For card transfer it should work ok on PC via USB connection. I use SD Viewer english version.

A tip for you if you want to shoot video progressive, set progressive to auto and record mode to frame from camera menus. Video progressive is frame record mode, and progressive is used for taking stills.

ciao,
marius
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #19
Major Player

Thank you patricia and Marius.

I have the one gs100_essentials from mx5000 yahoo groups. its really good.(this was translated by masaki).

Marius, is there any english gs 70 or dv 953 manual online, so that i can look at it or print out useful features.

I will post my experience.

Thanks,
sam.
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:29 AM   #20
Major Player

Got both manuals!

I got both the manuals for gs 70 and pvdv 953 from onecall.com.

They really helps!

I would recommend all the owners or the new owners to get them to take a "good care" or ur new gs 100k, before our gurus could try to translate the entire 200 page gs 100k manual.

just a 2cents advice
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:40 AM   #21
Major Player

Comon Allan, Marius

please clarify the differences in gs 100

Frame mode - ? I GUESS IT CAPTURES VIDEO 30 FRAMES PER SECOND?

Normal mode -? WHAT IS THIS?

Progressive mode, if its off or auto, then only frame mode or normal mode works.

so what is exactly progressive mode, is it for both still as well as dv camera?

is it pro cinema mode 16:9 ?

what is wide mode and cinema mode then. But i know cinema mode is just blacking out with bars on top and bottom.

what is the exact differences between pro cinema and wide mode?

If you help with the definitions of all these modes?

NORMAL, FRAME, PROGRESSIVE, WIDE MODE, PRO CINEMA MODE, CINEMA MODE.

IS TELE MACRO SAME AS ZOOM JUMP IN MX 5000?

PLEASE TELL YOUR OPINIONS OR EXPERIENCES WITH THESE MODES, SO THAT IT IS USEFUL FOR ALL THE OWNERS.
Old July 27th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Frame mode is progressive for video(DV) and only for that.
Progressive is for stills and only for stills.
Normal mode is the standard interlaced mode.

What is the diff between wide an cinema mode... I don't know 100% now. Looks like cinema doesn't use true 16:9, only blacks the footage on top and on bottom. I am not sure. Some details on this Allan? Would be awesome :)

modes:
normal=interlaced
frame=progressive scan
progressive=progressive for stills

I don't know about the zoom jump on mx5000, but tele macro is zoom and focum on an object and the surrounding of that object are blured, not focused. This helps when you want to point out something, while ignoring the stuff arround it.

I for one, I use wide mode almost all the time, because I like a lot 16:9
Marius Burz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #23
Major Player

cinegamma

have you guys tried the cinegamma mode yet?
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 04:47 PM   #24
Major Player

Hmmmmm

looking at the english translation of the gs100 menu - there aren't many choices

Cinema mode - off or on
Record mode - normal or frame

So Cinema mode must be BOTH 16x9 and "cinegamma" - doesn't seem like you can have just one or another.

Record mode is 60i or 30p

have I got this right?

Michael
Old July 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM   #25
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : An acquaintance has expressed interest in trying a translation of the GS100 manual, but would like text or MS word (not PDF) versions of the English manual for the 953 and GS70 from which to work. Any suggestions on obtaining these? -->>>
You may find the GS70EN manual in pdf format in Panasonic USA web site.
Old July 27th, 2003, 08:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks marius

But what is the difference between PRO cinema mode and wide mode.

I know cinema mode is just putting a black bar on top and bottom.
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #27
Major Player

Samuel, page 48 of your manual. Wide gives you 16:9. Procinema gives you 30p. It's one or the other, it seems, as far as recording. And you are right, Cinema gives you the black striping across the top and bottom. On page 49, the right hand side of the page gives you further nasty truths, for example, if your camcorder is set to Procinema mode, you can't use "progressive," Cinema mode, digital effects or smoothing/0 lux night view. If your camcorder is set to Wide mode, you can't use "progressive" or Cinema mode. Also a warning that if you use a regular TV (4:3), Wide or Procinema might not play back right (they advise you not to do it - I think this assumes straight playback, as in other threads, people talk about what you have to do while editing to get this to work). I haven't trudged my way through the caveats about Cinema mode yet, but needless to say, as a point and shooter with a widescreen TV whose basic use for the camera will probably be indoors, my camcorder is kept set to Wide. BTW, none of these modes is available if you are recording on the SD card. Hopefully Allan will correct me if I've misunderstood.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:56 PM   #28
Major Player

Uh oh

You CAN'T use both 16x9 and 30p modes at the same time?

Major bummer. And I almost ordered from pricejapan this morning..guess panasonic figured out it would be too harsh on the dvx100 to let people have both at once...

Now I'm depressed...
Old July 27th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #29
Regular Crew

ProCinema is 16:9 and frame (30p) mode. Wide is 16:9 without frame mode.
Eng Yew Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:12 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I use wide mode combined with frame mode and it works perfectly. The shots I've put online were shot in this mode. They are not interlaced, and 29.97 FPS. They are not ProCinema. So, what to say? It works! It works! It works! ... or?
Marius Burz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant