Operating the GS100K - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:12 PM   #76
Major Player

Blue means disabled under the default setting (full auto). Just switch to manual and more options will be available (they'll turn white that is).
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 06:25 PM   #77
Major Player

Yes Peter,
The blue menu means itfs not available for certain setting.

For example AE preset exposures are not accessible in Auto mode. You have to switch to Manual mode (the button on the left side of the lens barrel) to activate AE exposures.

Same is valid for different options in the menu when you are in card mode, etcc
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2003, 07:29 PM   #78
Tourist

Tony Leung - GS100 Operations Manual

Tony Leung,

Can you send me the Japanese GS100 operating manual. I emailed you personally with my email address.

Please advise
Rick Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:36 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Hi Rick,

Here's the panasonic page to download the Japanese manual (PDF) from:

http://panasonic.jp/support/video/manual/manual.html

it's about 1/2 way down the page in the middle column.

Once you open the manual, click on the little text icon in the top menu bar and then you can cut/paste any non-graphics text from the .pdf into translator software or whatever...

hope this helps.
Old September 12th, 2003, 01:59 PM   #80
Regular Crew

Just as a sidebar to this, I read in the GS70 manual that the OIS function may not work effectively if you have a lens adapter--wide or tele--on the cam. Anybody know anything about this? Is it true? I normally leave my wide adapter on all of the time.

Peter
Peter Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:51 AM   #81
Regular Crew

AFAIK, GS70 has no OIS but ratther EIS that isn't teribly effective according to majority of user reports.

Alex
Alex Zabrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 05:14 AM   #82
Major Player

Peter Waren,

If you are talking about GS100's OIS you shouldn't worry as it is linear motor shift lens system not affected from reduced light or electronic manipulation but just from the physical shake.

The GS70's EIS is automaticaly disabled at light levels when the gain is pushed below 9dB. At 12 dB for exmple the EIS is not working as reported on other forums.

Adding additional glas in front of the original lens reduces more or less the reception of light so that might be a problem and Pana just puts it in it's manual for own safety.

You can easy say if the EIS is disabled as the shake is very obvious at modest zooms. Zoom to 5x and try to hold steady - you can compare how it behaves at different light conditions.
Old September 13th, 2003, 09:45 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Thanks, folks, this makes a lot of sense. I have the 953 manual, but have been using the GS70 manual as a first read.

I find that the cam is rather difficult to hold steady at any but widest lens settings. Some sort of stable platform is really indicated for any serious shooting....
Old September 13th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Peter, are you talking about GS70 or GS100K claiming it is nto convenient for steady handholding ?

Alex
Old September 13th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Alex...I am talking about the GS100K...I am not deriding the cam-it is a wonderof technology and Japanese quality--but it's small size makes it hard to hold steady even with the OIS. Have you found it otherwise?
Old September 13th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #86
Major Player

I think Peter is talking about GS100.

I would agree with him that the optical stabilization of this tiny little lens is not of the best. It's not easy to tame the movements so it's "normal" to experience "bouncing" in the 8x-10x range. I also find this frustrating. I didn't find GS70 to have bouncing.
At the full wide I don't have any problem though.

Problem is that for this size lense physical compensation is very tricky.You need very sencitive and fine tuned motors to move the inside lens to compensate.

That's why in other post I complain about the lens size and also I prefer the active prism type of OIS found in higher class cams. This prism is compensating in such way that the ligh/image enters to it's surface exactly at 90 degrees canceling any errors.

In general for this price and given that OIS doesn't degradate image quality I'm happy with GS100.
Old September 13th, 2003, 12:17 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Yeah, I understand. Hope to test your words guys next week when my little GS100K beauty will reach my hands... :-))

Alex
Old September 13th, 2003, 03:46 PM   #88
Major Player

In my observation, Canon Optura100's OIS is more steady than that of MX5K and GS100.

Peter, the GS100 is "closer" in functionality to the MX5K/953 than the GS70.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM   #89
Major Player

Well, there's always.....a tripod!

;-)
Michael Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2003, 10:54 PM   #90
Regular Crew

Allan, thanks, I learned that the hard way...after printing out 110 pages of the GS70 manual.

It is difficult to imagine that the manual for the GS100k is almost TWICE the page count of the 953 manual! Is it that there are so many additional features on the GS100k? Or does the manual do a better job of explaning the various functions? One of these days, we'll have a translation I suppose.
Peter Warren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant