OIS is good? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I press the video recording button for all my video recording because I do not know about how to use all the different things. I have only run and gun once like this and the video looks shakky like a action film look or like on the action news about the war.
Tom E Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #17
Regular Crew

<<seems to reset itself and you get a big jerk in ur footage>>

Image stabilization cannot correct subject matter ;)

Seriously when the camera is locked down it is OK to leave the Optical Image Stabilization on. This can correct/reduce small jittsers from bumps or wind. Electronic versions of stabilization sense movement in the image on the LCD and try to correct by bit-shifting with the DSP. This can cause moving images to trick the cam into thinking it is moving and will cause the electronic bit-shift to kick in. OIS "Optical" is far more forgiving, and possibly more accurate, but definitely non-degrading to image quality.
Joe Garnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
This can correct/reduce small jittsers from bumps or wind.
Joe, that might be the case for a stationary cam on a tripod but for panning (especially quick) you'll want to have any form of stabililzation turned off.

Also, only digital image stabilization (DIS) degrades the picture but these days there are so many extra pixels on CCDs running through intelligent DSPs thats its barely noticeable in playback (if at all). Electronic image stabilization (EIS) uses sensors to compensate for motion and they do not degrade the picture. I prefer optical image stabilization (OIS).

The following is from a document on ZenerA.com..

Quote:
The trade off in a pure OIS system is that it can't correct for motion beyond the ability of the prism to move. In a situation like running, (and I do mean running) OIS will give you smooth motion, where as EIS will give you less motion but greater digital artifacts.

Another sort of artifact OIS delivers is when you have a long slow move, like a pan, the prism keeps moving after you stop, causing the very motion you are trying to eliminate. EIS typically is capable of faster reaction times, and while still susceptible to this effect, minimizes the time it appears.

If you are selecting a camera based on it ability to stabilize images you have to consider the type of motion you intend the camera to correct for. If you expect the camera to recieve frequent high frequency shocks, like being buffeted by wind on vehicle mounts...EIS may be a better choice. If you have lower frequency higher amplitude motion, like walking or whip pans to compensate for OIS may prove superior.

If you are planning on running or the like you can just forget it right off. Look at camera stabilization systems like Steadicam or Glidecam.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #19
Major Player

<<Another sort of artifact OIS delivers is when you have a long slow move, like a pan, the prism keeps moving after you stop, causing the very motion you are trying to eliminate. EIS typically is capable of faster reaction times, and while still susceptible to this effect, minimizes the time it appears>>

thanks for that tommy that is exactly what i was talking about. a little shake in panning is better i think then having a big jerk in the middle when the OIS prism gets to its limits and goes back to normal. it does help tremendously for small shakes from wind etc especially when i have my 2x on. I think you just have to find a compromise. the tripod i use is my dads which is a manfrotto 055 like franks. even that tripod gets the shakes at times and as far as prosumer gear goes that is reasonably solid. Dad uses a broadcast camera on a miller and even a larger manfrotto and that too gets shakes from wind so i don't know. do you forget its there and just add it to your footage. i'm very fussy and i wouldn't include some work that you see in documentary's etc but it does seem to work for them. mostly you forget about it or don't even realise it and it doesn't matter.

Justin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant