Japanese Panasonic Started to advertise GS400 in big time. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 24th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Guy, take a look here please. I tried to illustrate the hot shoe. The small cover moves away like the red arrow indicates. Then you can see the electric contacts where the green line is.
I'll try if I can take a better picture later when I'm at home.
I also think I remember the GS400 (NTSC) manual shows some accessories for the hot shoe.

edit: I just found this website with two photos which show a PAL GS400's hot shoe. It is exactly the same as on my NTSC version!
Andreas Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks, Andreas. The cover fooled me. I guess the PAL, Jap NTSC, and NA NTSC models are pretty comparable unlike on previous camcorders. It would also be nice now if Panasonic made its accessories more widely available.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Guy and everyone else who's concerned wether there is or there is not a hot shoe on the N.A. NTSC version of the GS400, I can definately tell you mine has it! It looks exactly the same like on the PAL version, therefore I don't take another photo.
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #19
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Andreas Winkler : I just found this website with two photos which show a PAL GS400's hot shoe. It is exactly the same as on my NTSC version! -->>>

That shoe looks definitely very interesting.

What does Panasonic sell that can be inserted on it? Can you input a microphone through it or a mic pair?

In any case, if you want to preserve your contacts, you should plug the adapter and leave it there forever. But they are much simpler to clean and maintain.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #20
Major Player

Hot shoe accessories.

stereo zoom mic (same class as the VMS1). Carlos I think I mentioned this to you before as the only solution if you want to use a mic and the wired remote together.

video lamp (3w only)

The cover of the electrical contacts is "normally closed" and is pushed in only when you slide an accessory into the shoe, or if you push it with your finger :-)
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if there are any alternative mics that can be used with the GS400's hot shoe? The original Panasonic zoom mic is a bit expensive IMHO!
Old August 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM   #22
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : Hot shoe accessories.

stereo zoom mic (same class as the VMS1). Carlos I think I mentioned this to you before as the only solution if you want to use a mic and the wired remote together.

video lamp (3w only)

The cover of the electrical contacts is "normally closed" and is pushed in only when you slide an accessory into the shoe, or if you push it with your finger :-) -->>>

Yes, you did mention about the hot shoe. But I thought that by now there might be just a cable adaptor instead of something I will pay for and not use, like a zoom stereo mic (which apparently is also expensive, according to Andreas).

The GS400 manual does not mention any other options for this shoe, and I wonder if one can buy just a cable to shoe terminal as a part. Probably not, but it's worth a try. If that terminal is used for other purposes, like servicing, there might be a cable. Perhaps a service manual may throw some light over that.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:20 AM   #23
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Guy Bruner : Kaku,
It sure would be nice if Panasonic.US would post the information and graphics in English they have posted on the Panasonic.JP site. A lot of people's questions would be answered outright if they did...no need to run an ad blitz. -->>>

Guy, I'm talking to my friend who is excellent in professional translation and doing work for Panasonic car audio, to suggest Panasonic for him to work on English video related documents. I hope that comes true so all of you have easier time.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:33 AM   #24
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : So, Kaku, is this likely to mean the price will stabilize rather than drop? I'm against it not dropping! But I'm for a lot of sales, if that will keep Pana developing products for this niche.

Guy, you know, with the stories I've been hearing - however few they are - I'm not sure Pana can publish the same info on its English-language (North America) web site as on its Japan domestic one. I'm still not sure this is quite the same product across the board. May be just a lingering suspicion as a result of the differences between the 953 and the 5000, but if that's the case, then Pana did it to itself. -->>>

Patty,
Surprised that the price dropped so quickly, but it must have been that they lucked enough exposure. They even added more slots on air for the same commertial and even posters in trains. They are on it. So interesting to see how it affects the street price. Japanese consumer is very typical and they trust the brand and always play safe. The most Japanese are educated to memorise, not to think much. When someone comes up to think differently and start to make noises, usually the crowd don't like that and try to squeeze one out. So, what the posts in Kakaku say, they are mostly not reliable because they are not pronouncing the real name, they don't take responsibilities and the opinions rises before they really figuring out the functions and reason of the features.

Hope the request I'm making about my friend would go through, so all of you have easier time for getting information. I helped him on Pana's car audio translation because I'm in pro-audio and hi-fi audio bussiness and the catalog became excellent because Phil's command of English is way above avarage (not mine, I just express enough to make him understand the true meaings of what is written in the original japanese script). Maybe interesting if all of you write a request and recommending Phil to panasonic for the translating job (with my assistance in technical and computer related matters).
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM   #25
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : The GS400 I saw was very light and plastic like. I was surprised because the PV-DV953 felt so solid. It would be interesting to find out if the Japanese version is a different beast. -->>>

Frank,

I don't think the US model is any different from Japanese model as far as the chassis. I also thought that Panasonic cams (including DVC30, DVX100 and GS100) are light, but after owning them, the sturdiness was not issue at all. So, I appreciate the light weight more.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #26
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Allan Rejoso : Yeah, the HC1000 is quite nice too and the extra weight gives it a more solid (albeit front heavy) feel IMO despite having, without any doubt, a body made of some smoooth plastic. When viewed from the side, the HC1000 quite deceivingly looks very compact but it's real fat breadthwise. Still, how I wish the GS400 had LANC. -->>>

Allan,
Yes, missing lanc is pretty dissapointing. We should convince a remote maker to come up with adaptor cable for the remote jack.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM   #27
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Patricia Kim : I suspect the Japan version has a shoe that is only "hot" with proprietary Pana items (like the mike, flash, etc.), but I wonder if the NA version would also be able to use those accessories. Why Pana makes such questions even necessary is way beyond me. -->>>

Patty,

The hot shoe seems to be Pana's proprietary style. I looked around anything that might work with this, especially any better video light, but never found anything that is from third party.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant