Anyone figured how to flash the gs100k with english menus yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old August 27th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Anyone figured how to flash the gs100k with english menus yet?

It has been a really long time since I have logged in. I bought the panasonic gs100k and haven't really used it at all. I know, I should always be using it. I realize sometimes when I use it something happens unexpectedly and I cant fix it until I get home and figit with it for a while. This is no good when I am on vacation and don't want to figit. Any suggestions?

I know there was talk of the possibility of flashing the rom with an english menu or something back in the day when I bought it. Has anything like this come to past?

Thanks.
Chris Pasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Sounds like you should e-bay yours the way Tommy did his and buy yourself the English-language gs400. :)
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Hehe, is the gs400 the new us equivalent tot he gs100k?
Chris Pasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Hehe, is the gs400 the new us equivalent tot he gs100k?
Actually, the GS400 is the replacement for the GS100 in Japan. Of course North America never saw the GS100 so the GS400 is more of a replacment for the DV953.

Either way though it would seem from initial reports that the GS400 is superior in most ways compared to the GS100. The Japanese GS400 has a few features that the N.A. GS400 lacks along with the color choice of black but at least this time we have a N.A. NTSC version and an English manual (see notice at top of forum).

Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
The Japanese GS400 has a few features that the N.A. GS400 lacks
Tommy, what features does the Japanese version have that the NA version lacks?
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Wrangler

I guess I should have said "feature" because I was thinking about the fluorescent WB setting and MPEG4 but now I remember someone saying that the N.A. GS400 does have MPEG4 while the Japanese GS400 does not.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #7
Major Player

We also don't know yet about that hot shoe on the N.A. version and if it will really work with Pana accessories. Also the underwater housing - the one for the mx5000 turned out not to be compatible with the pv-dv953.
Patricia Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:35 PM   #8
Major Player

I think they are most likely the same, but...

Has anyone confirmed if the N.A. version uses low-dispersion glass? The N.A. DVC30 is described to have such kind of special lens? What's Panasonic NA marketing saying?

Is the New Crystal Engine really the same (LSI) as N.A.'s Pure Color Engine? In Panasonic Japan, these 2 engines are of different class. Pure Color Engine is what a Japanese MX1000, GS55, GX7 have.

Is Nameraka (Smooth) Color Night Mode present in the N.A. version or the so called Advanced Magic Pix is just the useless night mode feature similar to that of GS200/GS120?

Well, may not be too relevant :-))
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
What's Panasonic NA marketing saying?
Panasonic NA marketing isn't saying much of anything. That's why I asked. From what I have read of the NA version of the GS400, it is essentially equivalent to other versions except for smooth color night mode. As far as I can tell, the NA version is simply Magic Pix...no variable shutter in that mode.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Chris,
When you can figit with the manual just put the GS100 in AUTO mode. Then don't touch anything than the Standby button - it will not disapoint you much.
At least you'll have some footage rather than nothing ;)
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2004, 12:37 AM   #11
Major Player

...you guys mean "fidget", right?...BTW, sorry for the B.S. post :(
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant