Lens hood on the MX500 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 16th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Over in Malaysia, if you look hard enough, you will see some MX300's over in QS Citifoto shops in big malls, Jusco MidValley, KLCC i.e. Best Denki. Though I've last seen them there in January of this year, selling real cheap i.e. 20% discount of the reccommended price of RM 8200.

In Sungai Wang & QS Citifoto you can still get the MX350.

Though I wouldn't gaureentee that they'll still be there...

These guys may want to palm off their stocks of MX300 & MX350 before stocking up on MX500s.
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #32
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Weir : Every now and then a ghostly reflection of the lens fills my screen... never noticed it shooting but when I hooked up a monitor.

I realised that it is the UV filter reflecting the lens.

I thought that it might be due to the sequence on my MX300: Lens - Hood - UV filter. The gap might be exacerbating the possibility that this woudl occur. But there was no way to hook the Hood on once the UV filter was attached directly to the lens.

Any thoughts? -->>>

You are right that the flares are caused by the filter being too far away from the lens. I will suggest that you get a good filter (super multi coated, anti-reflection, non-flaring, whatever) and attach it nearest to the cam. Good coated filters can be up to 4 times the price of un-coated good filters.

Then get a third party rubber/plastic hood, if the hood is really so important. I have been shooting on my MX350 without my third party rubber hood except for tele onto far objects with the sun nearby. Also, blow your filter to clear off the dust often, try not to wipe too much as wiping will spoil the coating.
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:47 PM   #33
Regular Crew

With regards to the ghostly image, it's reflections.

The same will happen if you stand in front of a window with sunlight streaming in: the window will contain a reflection of you, like a sort of mirror. The angle of the sun & angle of the window to you also plays a part. The reason for the reflection is that the light goes through the window, hits you, lighting you up bright enough so that the window picks up your reflection.

If the window is multicoated, then the reflection is still there, minimized because it is no longer white, but perhaps green or pink or orange depending on the multi coating properties- so that reflections are not so obvious.

Even with my Hoya Super HMC filters (allows 99.7% of light to pass through without reflections, the top of the line most expensive range of Hoya filters) at the most extreme angle (sun far off to the extreme sides) there will be some reflection - but it's not that bad compared to normal uncoated filters.

The cheapest solution is to somehow manuever yourself so that the light doesn't hit your cam lenses or filters, so less reflections. BUT that may ruin the angle of your shot though.

What the pros do, in addition to having a lens hood, is to put a little "flag" - an external piece of cardboard that blocks out the light source's rays from hitting your cam lenses & filters. They actually get some hands to hold the flag.

If you don't have the luxury of extra hands - you can make a piece of square cardboard attached to a wire attached to a "crocodile clip" which then clips on to your cam i.e. lens hood.

Or use your own hand to block the light. Your hand can be moved dynamically unlike the flag. Watch out that your hand doesn't peek into the picture!

These tricks can also help you avoid that vertical "spear of light" (a shaft of light coming from the very bright light bulb, that stretches from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen) that appears when you vidcam a bright bulb - as long as you don't have the bulb in the picture or somehow shade it you'll be ok.

Hope that helps!
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 10:03 PM   #34
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Khong :

These tricks can also help you avoid that vertical "spear of light" (a shaft of light coming from the very bright light bulb, that stretches from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen) that appears when you vidcam a bright bulb - as long as you don't have the bulb in the picture or somehow shade it you'll be ok.
-->>>

Good advice from Steven. The 'spear of light' is known as streaking, extremely common in camcorders and most noticed in Sony's Carl-Zeiss lens (one of the reasons why I am not inito Sony cams).

Lens hood is a must, but at wide angles, you really have not much choise but to position your shooting angle wisely.

I use my hood, plus my hand and sometimes I'll rip my Australian leather 'cowboy' hat off my head and use that as a shield.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Old March 18th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #35
New Boot

Thanks both of you. I will check out a more expensive UV filter and a 3rd party hood...

hands to the ready...
Tom Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 03:55 AM   #36
Outer Circle

Tom,

I bought a very expensive Heliopan slim line UV filter for my MX300. I first was going to buy a Leica UV. It was even more expensive. BUT..., the darn thing wouldn't screw on! The Leica filter threads are at a different pitch! So I ended up with the Heliopan instead. One problem though.

The Heliopan smears like crazy. It seems like that the light bounces off the MX Leica lens and stops on the filter. Crazy. Anyways, I then bought an inexpensive Cokin UV, and now everything works fine. I'm sure the Hoya and Tiffen are good too.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #37
New Boot

Frank, the UV filter I got with the cam was a pretty cheap Hama at about 10 EU.

I will probably want to change the lens hood first for one that comes with a 43mm thread so i can try it with the UV filter closer to the lens. Maybe a lens hood with a bit more depth also.
Tom Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:34 PM   #38
Outer Circle

Yes, a good lens hood is a must. I find. I always have one screwed on my Nikon (on top of the filter). One thing that really sucks is that no where in town can I find a 37mm thread lens hood for my DVL9500s. One of these days I'll have to order one from that lens hood .com place (something like that). I've lost their link, though, and I have to use a computer other than my home computer since last time I was there, the coding locked up my computer. Does anyone recall that website which sells hoods? Thanks.
Old March 18th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #39
Major Player

Stepping up for hood is fine, you can get a 37 to 49mm step up then use a 49mm hood, which should be quite readily available.
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:49 AM   #40
Outer Circle

Here's that website I was trying to recall:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #41
Major Player

Frank,

Hoodman USA is selling hoods for the LCD, I can't seem to find the lens hoods though. They do lens hoods too?

Actually, I have just gotten my wife to sew me a copy of what you have shown sticking on your MX300 (the one with the Photoshop blue background). Could have saved the trouble by just buying a Hoodman.

I am now rushing out a rain shelter for my cam to use outdoors. I am cutting up an old PVC handbag and throwing it over my cam with some velcro and elastic bands. Will keep you guys informed.
Old March 19th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #42
Outer Circle

I have to dig up the site for lens / viewfinder hoods. That's not the right link. Sorry. I'll keep digging.
Old March 19th, 2003, 05:02 PM   #43
Trustee

http://www.cavision.com/LensHood/sunshade.htm
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #44
Major Player

Wow Bryan, pretty large hoods!

Thanks for the link.

BTW, I have completed my rain sheild for my cam.

I use two bands of cloth, about 15mm across, and sew velcros to them. These two bands wrap around the battery over the viewfinder at the back, and the focus ring and my adpator rings on the front.

A piece of heavier PVC is then thrown over, attached to bits of velcro on the bands to be held in place.

Coupled with a rubber hood, the set-up will work in a drizzle, and I may even risk a light rain on a non-windy day.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant