Lens hood on the MX500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant
...and other Panasonic DV camcorders.

Old March 6th, 2003, 09:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Lans hood on the MX500

Hi All,

Just got my new MX500 and I just wanted to know if the lens hood is required as the lens cap that came with the camera doesn't seem to attach onto the lens hood but it's fine if you take the lens hood off.

In addition to this the UV filter that I have does not attach to the
lens hood but is also fine when you take it off.

Regards

mastiha
Savvas Xexenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:19 PM   #2
Outer Circle

If the lens hood screws onto the cam's filter threads, first screw on the UV filter, then screw on the hood to the UV filter's threads.

With my MX300, the lens cap does fit in the hood, but it's cramped/awkward to get the fingers in.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 11:57 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm positive the lens cap and any 43mm filter would fit onto the female thread of the lens hood.

The only time you need to remove the lens hood, according to Pany, is when you're attaching a lens converter (wide or tele). Some users are making the mistake of attaching the lens converter on top of the lens hood.
Allan Rejoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #4
New Boot

Just checked with Panasonic down here and they said you do you to remove the lens cover to use the lens cap as the lens cap is 43mm and the lens hood is 46mm. They said I would need a third party lens cap to fit over the lens cover.
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #5
Major Player

What??? I've sold 4 sets of MX5000 and I've used/given a 43mm MC protector to each one while testing in order to keep the lens clean.

Perhaps the filter thread size of the PAL MX500 is different.
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If that's what Panasonic says, then, it's official?? But it sounds illogical. No (personal) offence intended.

Why would Pana make a lens hood that has a different filter size from it's body? And why shouldn't the lens cap fit the lens hood?

Granted, 46mm filters are easier to obtain than 43mm.

I've seen a MX500 with lens hood on in the shop window (Malaysia), and it says 43mm on the lens hood itself.

Perhaps some MX500 (PAL) user can comment.

Maybe, just maybe, it could be the pitch of the filter's threads. I have a Hoya Circular Polarizer which is very difficult to get threaded to my MX300's lens hood. I have to try really hard to align it properly.

But it goes on easily on my MX300 body's thread. I don't have this problem with my other Hoya filters.
Steven Khong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #7
New Boot

Just found the problem (feel a bit stupid). There was a 43mm-46mm adapter screwed onto the lens cover that I thought was a part of the cover. On closer inspection it could be unscrewed.

Weird that Panasonic couldn't confirm that.
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #8
Outer Circle

I don't think this has anything to do with Pana, AU.
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Mmmm. well what's that adapter ring doing there in the first place?

No problem.. at least you have a free adapter ring in case you want to use a 46mm attachment.

Cheers
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:38 AM   #10
Outer Circle

Aren't the Kenko adaptors for the MX cams 46mm---so you would need that adaptor ring? Lucky! I guess you got a freebie from the camera shop you bought your MX5 from. (I never get that lucky.)
Old March 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Nope to a few problems there:

1. Panasonic AU wouldn't know, cam was bought in Singapore.

2. The 43 to 46 adaptor came free with the semi-fisheye, accidentally left behind after testing, not free from the shop or from Panasonic.

3. And the adaptor is not Kenko, but brandless. Very affordable brandless stuff here in Singapore, in the range of $3 to $10 for adaptor rings, lenscaps and other small items.

I would know, I helped Savvas buy the cam in Singapore. I was really shocked at the price that they were charging in Australia. The RRP in Singapore is S$3300 but in Australia it is A$4399. The current rate for S$ to A$ is almost 1 to 1.

Savvas, what's the best price you can get the MX500 for in Australia? In Singapore, the cam can be bought at less than $2400 with about $100 goodies thrown in.
SW: iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Ulead Video Studio, various little utilities
Yow Cheong Hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #12
Major Player

Actually, I didn't even checked if my MX350 has any threads on the supplied hood. To keep my cam short, in order to fit in my bag, I took the hood away the day I bought the cam, put in my adaptor rings and my UV(0) filter. Back then, it was 52mm, now I have moved all my filters to 55mm.

Thanks to Steven Khong for his willingness to take over my entire set of 5 special filters of 52mm, and for a very good price :-).

More shocks from Australia: Savvas' friend, Robert, told me that MiniDV tapes in Australia are about A$30 each! I get them at S$5 to S$6 each. Of course, these are the basic, non premium tapes, but nevertheless still Panasonic and Sony.
Old March 7th, 2003, 02:48 AM   #13
Outer Circle

$30 AU per tape? Really? I get Fuji tapes for just under $6 CAN.
Old March 7th, 2003, 03:04 AM   #14
Major Player

That's what I heard! Maybe Savvas can confirm this shocking news!
Old March 7th, 2003, 01:40 PM   #15
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Yow Cheong Hoe : Savvas, what's the best price you can get the MX500 for in Australia? In Singapore, the cam can be bought at less than $2400 with about $100 goodies thrown in. -->>>

The best price for the cam was $3400 AUS with just the items that come within the original box. However, most of the sotes sell it for $3799. YowCH helped me to buy one in Singapore for around $2400 (after taxes removed) with quite a few extras. Keep in mind that the exchange rate of AUS and SGD is almost 1 to 1, for $2400 I got:

1 x MX500
1 x extra genuine battery
12 x Panasonic tapes
1 x camera bag
1 x UV filter
1 x fisheye lens

and it came with a 1 year limited international warranty so I can still get it serviced in Oz if required.

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : $30 AU per tape? Really? I get Fuji tapes for just under $6 CAN. -->>>

That's right. They start from around $20 for the low end taps and move up from there.
Savvas Xexenis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant > Panasonic DV / MX / GS series Assistant