What cheap capture devices are YOU using? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old September 9th, 2003, 09:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Yes, is this problem limited to Vegas? I don't plan on using Vegas for any projects anyways.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2003, 11:57 AM   #17
Regular Crew

capture device

Once I've captured to my ag-dvx I then dump it using sony dsr-11. I have not had any problems doing so.
Old September 29th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #18
Major Player

Anyone know if the PV-DV53 Panasonic MiniDV camcorder will work okay as a capture/playback device for my DVX100?

Here's the URL: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=276525&is=REG

Thank you. Concerned about it possibly incorrectly capturing the footage as 60i as someone said earlier in this thread (JVC).
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I asked this same question earlier in this thread. I was thinking about getting it because it was the cheapest MiniDV cam I could find. Another member replied and said that he had bought the DV53 to use for capture and that it worked but that the camera only had mono audio output. I noticed that B&H had it listed as having stereo out, so I checked another web site and it had it listed as only having mono output. So, I decided not to take my chances with the DV53 from B&H. I guess it is possible that B&H has a newer version of it with stereo output but I don't really think that is very likely. It is more likely that it is just a mistake on the B&H website. So unless you would be satisfied with mono audio output I would probably not get the DV53. There is a JVC camera for not too much more money than the DV53 that does have stereo outputs. Hope this helps.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #20
Major Player

If you capture through the firewire to your Hard drive, doesn't the exact same audio transfer, as well?

Argh man, just when I thought it was getting easier.....

You get what you pay for!
Old September 29th, 2003, 10:04 PM   #21
Space Hipster

Firewire signal is stereo - mono would be for analog outs.
Old September 29th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #22
Major Player

Cool, so we should be okay with this Panasonic DV53 then?
Old September 30th, 2003, 12:25 AM   #23
Barry Wan Kenobi

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be fine with it... it should be fully compatible, AND you'll pick up a spare battery, charger, and remote for your DVX100 at the same time!
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

The DV53 works fine, DV over firewire is DV, so it outputs a 720x480 video w/ stereo across firewire just like every other DV device.

What the earlier posts were referring to is the analog video/audio out. So if you want to monitor on an external monitor you could only do so in mono. Not a big deal to me since I monitor sound on the computer anyways.

I use the DV53 as a deck for my DVX100 tapes and so far it has worked out great. I love the fact that I have another charger and battery too (a remote doesn't come with the DV53).
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2003, 09:22 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Well it's good to know that the DV53 will work without any audio loss. I guess I may have misunderstood what Yang was trying to say. Thanks for the info, I'll be picking up a DV53 now myself, as I have been looking to get a capture device and a spare battery for my DVX100. Two birds with one stone.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 08:07 AM   #26
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Sean R Allen :

I use the DV53 as a deck for my DVX100 tapes and so far it has worked out great. I love the fact that I have another charger and battery too (a remote doesn't come with the DV53). -->>>

Are the chargers really the same?

I have the DV53 and the DVC80 and this question has been bugging me (although not enough to wait on hold for 30 minutes w/ Panasonic!). The specs on the two chargers seem the same, but they have different part numbers on their front faces. Does anyone know if it's safe to use the DV53 charger with the bigger DVC80 batteries?

Also, the battery that comes with the DV53 is smaller than the one that comes with the DVC80 -- it might be good as a last resort battery to have on hand "just in case," but I kind of doubt you'll get much life out of it on a DVC/DVX.

I haven't been using the DV53 as a play deck (I assummed that the heads might not be as good as the DVC), but I guess I will start. I just love it for the MagicPix effect -- it's great for a tongue-in-cheek, faux "scene-of-the-crime dramatization" look! :)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:59 PM   #27
Regular Crew

"Are thechargers really the same"

They do have different part numbers, but both have worked equally well for me charging batteries or powering the camera directly. They both have the same voltage and amperage and should be interchangable.

The good thing about Panasonic batteries are that they are all the same voltage and interchangable, unlike say...Sony who develops a new brand of battery it seems for each new line they make.

Anyways, FWIW my DV53 battery will power my DVX100 for about 40 minutes or so, but I'd have to wear my 3 other ones down first before I'd ever use it.

"I assummed that the heads might not be as good as the DVC"

The heads aren't as good in as they'll probably die before the DVC's would, i.e. they weren't made with the higher build quality the DVC/DVX were, however they are just as good at reading tapes as the DVC/DVX, meaning there's no loss of video/audio quality by using it as a deck.
Sean R Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #28
Major Player

Hi all,
I just received my DV53 and started using it as a playback deck. So far it works great and the battery/charger combo that came with the DV53 is also compatible with the DVX100.

So, if I shoot in 24p and use the DV53 to plaback, it should still be okay, right? Firewire is Firewire and it doesn't matter what camera you use since firewire is the same. Correct?
Old October 8th, 2003, 01:13 AM   #29
Barry Wan Kenobi

Correct.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #30
Major Player

Hi guys,
I've been using the DV53 Panasonic MiniDV cam for a few days now but I can't seem to get the camera to preview the timeline's content on my TV monitor. Is this a known issue with these cheap cameras? I heard on another forum that this happens....

Thanks for any advice.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant