What cheap capture devices are YOU using? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old October 15th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #31
Major Player

*EDITED* because I was giving completely incorrect information. Another reason to stop posting so late :) Look below for the proper answers...
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #32
Barry Wan Kenobi

Are you sure? I haven't seen a camera yet that doesn't allow for firewire-to-analog passthru. It's quite rare to find one that does analog-to-firewire passthru, but even my old TRV7 and TRV8 did firewire-to-analog.

The exception is PAL cameras that have DV-input disabled. But just about any other camera should allow realtime conversion of the firewire input to the analog outputs.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 07:04 AM   #33
Major Player

Whoops.

Barry, you are right. I was confusing topics -- I was thinking of analog video pass-through into the computer, which many consumer cams do not support. Big apologies and many thanks for pointing that out.

From the computer to the TV, though, should work. As I sit here, I have video going from my computer through firewire to the DV53 and out to my TV via the analog out.

Nick, do you have your camera set to VCR? That seems to be the only necessary requirement for me to view the video out.
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:46 AM   #34
Major Player

Hi John,
I'm not having any luck. I am wondering if you are using Premiere Pro? If not, then maybe that's why yours is working because according to the Adobe Premiere Pro Website, the Panasonic DV53 is not compatible.

I also tried running color bars from Premiere-->Camera-->TV and no luck.
Nick Medrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #35
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nick Medrano : Hi John,
I'm not having any luck. I am wondering if you are using Premiere Pro? If not, then maybe that's why yours is working because according to the Adobe Premiere Pro Website, the Panasonic DV53 is not compatible.

I also tried running color bars from Premiere-->Camera-->TV and no luck. -->>>

Are you referring to this page for Prem. Pro?

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...sonic&x=14&y=2

If so, I'd take that information with a gain of salt. I am using Premiere 6.5, but the neither the DV53 nor the DVC80 were specifically listed on the 6.5 compatibility chart. Regardless, I use both camera very successfully with Premiere 6.5.

Are you having any other troubles using your DV53 w/ Prem. Pro (besides not seeing the image on analog out)? If you can capture from your DV53 and record back to miniDV (from your computer to the cam), then I'd think that you'd be able to see it on screen as well. I don't know how Premiere could affect that... Have you tried different device capture settings? Again, I would think that sending the signal from your camera to the TV would be only under your camera's control, but you never know... I assume that you are able to successfully watch your recorded miniDV tapes on TV via the cam's analog out?

But I don't have Premiere Pro, so take my words with a grain of salt, too!
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #36
Major Player

Ladies and gentlemen....the idiot is in the house! Yes, that's right, I had the A/V plug going into the wrong HOLE in the camera.....

Case closed. The issue has been solved. The camera now works beautifully with Premiere.

Good bye as I go hide in a dark corner!
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:11 PM   #37
New Boot

DVX100 inadequate for capture ????

I quote Nick Medrano: "Okay, we all know that using your DVX100 camera as a playback/capture device to your NLE system is a bad idea...so what capture device do you use?"

I'm a pal DVX100 user and i do use the DVX to capture tapes through firewire to Adobe Premiere 6.

Can somebody explain me why using the DVX100 is a bad idea?
Why should a transfer bit per bit through firewire from the DVX to my PC be a bad idea? I don't understand and can't find on the forum another thread explaining this...

Thanks for your reply!

See you soon...

Stefan
Stefan Susini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I think he meant it is a bad idea to use the DVX for capture because it increases wear on the DVX heads. I don't think he meant that it gives bad quality or anything like that.
Darrell Hinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:52 AM   #39
New Boot

Good news...

Thank you Darrell, i hope it is what he meant, would be great if he can confirm.

Reassuring answer anyway...

See you,

Stefan
Old October 22nd, 2003, 08:35 AM   #40
Major Player

HI,
I meant exactly what Darrell is saying. It's okay to use your DVX100 as playback, but some of us are just real picky about using the video heads a little too much.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:02 AM   #41
New Boot

Got it

Hi Nick, thank you for the clarification, i suddenly had doubts about my knowledge of binary data transfer through firewire.... he he...

Thanks to all of you...

Stefan
Old October 23rd, 2003, 04:02 AM   #42
New Boot

Got it

Hi Nick, thank you for the clarification, i suddenly had doubts about my knowledge of binary data transfer through firewire.... he he...

Thanks to all of you...

Stefan
Old November 14th, 2003, 04:39 PM   #43
New Boot

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of capturing the footage from the dvx with a cheaper camera seems very risky. I always was told that a system is only as good as its weakest link. I can't help but think the quality of the heads on the dvx are far superior to the heads on a $400.00 camera. Wouldn't the signal to noise ratio be worse, and wouldn't you have the higher possibility of drop outs from different head alignment? It seems to me that the heads you recorded on would be the best heads to capture on also. I know that of course head wear will be an issue, but really, if I'm busy enough to wear out the heads in the course of 3 or 4 years, I'd think buying a new camera would certainly be in the budget. Are there any other reasons for this? I have an old original Canon Optura, which still works remarkably well, and i'd be able to capture on it, but I can't help but think i'd be losing something in the translation. Any thoughts?
Kevin Beswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:58 AM   #44
Slash Rules!

I use a Canon ZR80 (almost bottom of the line consumer miniDV cam) I got off ebay for around $200. It hath not done me wrong yet.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM   #45
Major Player

Kevin, the only thing the tape system does when playing back a tape is read the data already on it. While professional cameras usually have more robust tape mechanisms, the way they read/write data is pretty much the same. It's still better to use a cheaper camera for capture to preserve those heads because they'll cost you more to repair and in some cases, a camera is cheaper.
If you do heavy work on a regular basis, buying a deck is the best route because while initially more expensive, it has more room in it for an even more robust tape system which makes it a lot more durable and reliable.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant