DVC-30 - DVC-80 - GL2 confused/neophyte - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 15th, 2004, 02:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Michael wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No it's not the same, the DVX100 has true progressive 24fps - no need to convert the video from 60i, and no de-interlace artifacts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How exactly would the respective images differ? I am unfamiliar iwth de-interlace artifacts.

It would be interesting to compare frame-grabs of each.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #17
Space Hipster

They differ in, one the incredible amount of rendering time it takes to convert all your footage to progressive :)

but they will suffer from lower resolution will introduces both softness, especially in wide angle, and jaggies with diagonal lines. You also can get strobing and other problems as unless you are very careful when shooting your 60i, you won't see 24fps motion artifacts until you are in the editing room. Shooting progressive lets you see it as you shoot.

Also, shooting progressive with 1/48th and 1/24th shutter speeds gets you a better motion blur than 60i and 1/60th shutter speed.

Finally, and most importantly, shooting 24p captures different moments in time than 60i - 60i can never "see" those same moments.

The DVC80 is for 60i shooters. The DVX100 is for progressive. Shooting DVC80 footage and deinterlacing it is like buying an desktop and strapping a portable generator to your back so you can carry the desktop around :)
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #18
Wrangler

Check out 100fps.com (click here) It will explain and show what happens when you try to de-interlace 60i/NTSC or 50i/PAL video.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #19
Major Player

Great replies, thanks for the thoughtful answers.

Brian
Brian Mitchell Warshawsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2004, 02:41 AM   #20
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by George Loch : This is silly. The GL2/DVC30 do not compare at all to the DVC80. As was mentioned, the DVC80 is a better competitor to the PD150 - feature for feature.

As far as waiting, if you have jobs tha you are missing out on then what's the point? Go get a DVC80 start bringing some income in. If it's a hobby then...can't help you there

GL -->>>

why so? not the silly part, but regarding features as the dvc30 is not out and i have yet to find any comprehesive information
Edward Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2004, 02:29 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Here are a few of the specs on the DVC-30:

http://panasonic.co.jp/bsd/sales_o/02products/products/ag-dvc30/ag-dvc30.pdf

Basically, the DVC-30 has the following hits compared to the DVC-80:
-1/4" CCDs
-no XLR audio builtin
-inferior zoom an focus controls

Are these deal breakers? for me they would be but, for some I guess not. The point is that it's basic specs put it in competition with the GL2 and TRV-950 not the DVC-80

GL

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant