DVC80 disco'd price reduced? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM   #16
Major Player

">And even if the prices go down to a reasonable cost in two >years, I don't see why that should concern someone buying a >cam now.

Because unless you have to have a new camera now, it may save you money by waiting a year and make you more money by enabling you to get a better system that saves time in the future. Capturing DV footage is a real pain for NLE users."

I'm sorry, I hate to continue this in this thread, but part of my point is that any D2D recording device will be backwards compatible with current cams (ie, they will have firewire input). When D2D becomes affordable enough for me to consider, it will work fine with my DVC80 (if I even still have the DVC80 by then). Once Moore's Law allows in-cam, flash-based memory to be a viable (and affordable) option, then I will start to worry about the obsolecence of my current camera.

Ok, that's it (I think) :D
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Hmm... where I was quoted it made me sound like I was taking a jab at Stephen... I definitely wasn't. I just wondered if Stephen had a hard disk setup that he was using with the dvx around the price he mentioned...

I over-analysed his point about "Moore's Law" or whatever...

Anyway... I've got a dvx and I love it... but I really am perplexed at why Panny would dump the 80... it seems like too good a cam at it's price point and really I think that's the problem.

Maybe they're getting into Sony's thinking on this stuff... you realize that Sony can't make the PD170 the cam people want it to be w/o losing DSR250 sales don't you? At this point Sony has such an even spread of models that greatly improving any of 'em makes the next choice up less attractive.

Personally I think Panny was getting to that point 'cause as I said, I coulda' been almost as happy with the 80... If you only have $2K I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better camera...

The new 30 makes absolutely no sense to me other then to make the dvx look better once the 80's are gone.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant