DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/)
-   -   Pani Anamorphic Adapter Issues? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-dvx-dvc-assistant/28893-pani-anamorphic-adapter-issues.html)

Ian Poirier July 13th, 2004 01:18 PM

Pani Anamorphic Adapter Issues?

I was just planning on buying the anamorphic adapter for my dvx100a but as I was looking for prices I ran into a forum where somebody said that it didn't mount properly to thier camera and that they've heard this complaint before.

Anyone here had any experience/problems with it? I don't want to drop almost $900 only to get a shoddy image.

Mike Morrell July 16th, 2004 01:51 AM

Search this forum and you will get a lot of information on the adapter. I have two of these units used on the first version of the DVX-100. You do have to be careful that you thread them carefully so that they stay on. I would not recommend them for ENG situations. I might recommend them for scripted productions. For anything in-between, it is iffy.

My disadvantages list.

1. Not full zoom through. The more telephoto the worse the image, looks out of focus. The further the distance from the camera to the subject the worse the image.

2. No auto-focus.

3. Makes camera front heavy and unbalanced.

4. Cannot attach standard filters filters.

5. No markings to make sure that lens is on straight.

6. Lens could fall off under rugged conditions.

Barry Green July 20th, 2004 10:48 AM

If you're interested in using the anamorphic adapter, check out the Anamorphic Adapter User's Guide at http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/anaguide/. In it we discuss all the benefits and limitations, including resolution charts and focus charts that show the difference. Also we address some of the points Mike makes, such as:

1. "Not full zoom through." Well, actually yes it is. With proper focusing techniques and proper aperture management, you can get razor sharp focus all the way to Z99!

2. "No auto-focus." Well, again, yes & no. You cannot use autofocus in the standard method, but in the guide we discuss two ways to use autofocus to get razor-sharp focus with the anamorphic adapter installed.

3. "Makes camera front heavy and unbalanced." Undoubtedly adding a pound of glass on the front of the camera changes the balance and the weight.

4. "Cannot attach standard filters filters." You cannot use screw-in filters, but filter options are discussed.

5. "No markings to make sure that lens is on straight." Proper lens-attaching procedures are discussed in the guide to guarantee that you have it attached perfectly straight.

6. "Lens could fall off under rugged conditions." Um, that's a new one on me. Seems very firmly attached. I guess if you whacked the camera hard you could knock it off, but that would be quite a damaging blow, the same could be said about the flip-out LCD panel too... or any screw-in adapter...

Anyway, yes there are issues with the adapter if you don't know how to manage its peculiarities. If you've spent $800 or so on an anamorphic adapter, (or are contemplating doing so), you'd owe it to yourself to get this $10 guide that teaches you how to get the maximum performance from the adapter!

Ian Poirier July 20th, 2004 12:33 PM

Thanks, Barry

I actually tried to buy your guide last night but the pay pal thing was a headache. I'll try again tonight when I'm a little more awake (it was late).

Will it go out right away? I need to make my decision pretty quickly.

Barry Green July 20th, 2004 03:56 PM

The guides are shipping now. We're aiming for 1-day turnaround.

Ian Poirier July 20th, 2004 06:32 PM

I just ordered one and I look forward to reading it.

Thanks Barry

Dave Perry July 20th, 2004 06:38 PM

Barry,

Would the guide be useful to other anamophic lenses such as the Century Optics? I'm considering getting on of theirs for my camera.

Barry Green July 20th, 2004 09:49 PM

Century doesn't make an anamorphic lens that fits on the DVX yet. They are developing one, they've had like three prototypes, but it's not done yet and there's no announced time as to when it will be.

Century's lens will be a different type of beast because it will have a separate focusable element for the vertical elements (or the horizontals, can't remember which).

One reason the guide is necessary for the Panasonic adapter is because the verticals and horizontals focus at different planes, so you have to know how to derive the right focus point and the right aperture in order to bring both planes into focus at the same time.

Century's lens promises a completely different workflow, owing to the separate focusing element. However, Century's lens will sell for at least $2,000, and that's over twice as expensive as the Panasonic. The Panasonic is capable of superb results if it's properly managed (and of mediocre to poor results if you just point 'n' shoot with it!) The Century lens may be capable of even better results, as one would expect from the twice-as-high pricetag and the sterling reputation of Century and their parent company, Schneider Optics.

Barry Green July 20th, 2004 09:50 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ian Poirier : I just ordered one and I look forward to reading it. -->>>
Hey Ian! Thanks for the order, yours is going out tomorrow! I also added some new stickers to the set, they're tiny printing but they're designed to stick right on the anamorphic adapter so you'll always have the focus chart and aperture chart handy even if you lose the card. (you may need a magnifying glass though!) :)

Tyler Gred July 25th, 2004 01:14 PM

Just to let you guys know. I bought Barry's guide and it is a MUST if you have the adaptor. It's a guide that I would have no problem spending 3x more for it. Thanks Barry.

Ian Poirier July 26th, 2004 01:12 PM

I recieved it myself and it is fantastic if you plan on doing anything with the adapter. Good work, Barry!

Barry Green July 27th, 2004 06:25 AM

Glad it could help! Thanks for the support!

Mike Morrell July 27th, 2004 02:50 PM

This is good to know and it is good to know that you can achieve focus at full zoom through with proper technique. I first brought up these issues about a year ago and never found anyone who enough to help me with this issue. I even spoke to the Panasonic Reps last year at WEVA in Las Vegas and they were clueless.

I look forward to purchasing the guide and learning the proper focusing techniques and other hints.