Capturing problem pleae help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Capturing problem pleae help!

Hello!

My friend and i recently completed filming our short film. We did it away from home over a week long period. Upon capturing the footage at home I quickly noticed there was allot of "pixelation and artefacts" varying in their severity. I’ve included a youtube link to demonstrate how the less severe parts look (see far right hand side of the screen).

YouTube - ‪dirty tape.avi‬‏.

I was worried the whole film was ruined at first but the problem seems to be varied and at first came and went when I rewound and replayed the tapes. I’ve been able to capture 2 tapes cleanly now but the others appear to be showing no change even after repeated attempts and the intermittent use of a tape cleaner (used it 3 or 4 times for between 5 and ten seconds). Im not very knowledgeable about how to describe the problem but its sort of pixelation usually in slim vertical bands. Sometimes these bands are stationary but occasionally they drift across screen. The audio is mostly ok but jumps on bad bits. I suspected dirty tape heads but ive cleaned the heads since as I said and ive cleaned them maybe once every 6 months prior.

A bit more information: I used 4 new (sealed) sony premium tapes for the film.

The camera is a dvx100

I captured with firewire

When I step the footage on frame by frame during capture there is no problem, only when playing continuously.

The problem tends to be worse with panning shots rather than stationary.

Some parts of one tape will not play at all.

Ive since played, filmed over and captured a few minutes of an old tape with no problems.

Ive ordered a new Panasonic cleaning tape to try.

I hope someone on here might be able to help me. I might be able to get access next week to another camera to try capturing with that but until then im stuffed and panicking that our film is ruined! Can anyone make any suggestions as to the cause of the problem and how I can get round it? Does anyone live in the manchester area who i could perhaps bring the tapes to and il pay them to capture (I don’t have allot but would happily give £10 per tape! I would post them out further afield if needs be too.

Any help much appreciated

Sam
Sam Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Capturing problem pleae help!

Hi, Sam..............

I started off this post giving you chapter and verse about dirty tape heads during the record and the subsequent inability to retrieve data that simply isn't there, then something you said in your post made me pause and reconsider.

The fact that some of the data has subsequently been retrieved and that some of it is a moveable feast and yet more cannot be retrieved at all, reminded me of another tape horror that happens.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...ml#post1654295

During my deliberations it occured that your situation may be a mild to serious form of this BSOD problem.

In your case, as the playback is so flaky, I'm wondering if there is a crud buildup on the tape rollers/ guides/ other tape path problem that is making the tape move all over the shop, beyond the compensations ability to recover data accurately, and that the total inability to recover some of the data is, indeed, this BSOD situation in full flight.

You're best bet is:

1. Try another camera

2. Check out the mentioned Sony Tape Recovery facility (of which I have bugger all knowledge)

3. Get your camera thoroughly cleaned and serviced by Panasonic

4. Report back on your findings/ experience/ success/ failure to complete the mission/ etc

5. Good luck.

CS

Last edited by Chris Soucy; June 3rd, 2011 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Whoops!
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Capturing problem pleae help!

Well, it's been a week, and.............nothing!

Well done Sam, you qualify for the DVinfo "Ingrate of the Week" award.

I'm so pleased my comments have been able to solve/ not solve/ were totally irrelevant to your situation.

You will spur me on to help other ingrates across the entire planet, not.

There are times I really do wonder, why?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant