AG-DVC30 Audio, XLR, Mic questions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old January 26th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #46
Regular Crew

DVC62 audio problem

[QUOTE=Roger Averdahl]When using the AG-MYA30 you can not set any input levels to auto.

Do you know if the DVC-30 can be set to auto mic level as with a Sony TRV900 or VX2000?

I have the DVC62 full size version of the DC30 and can't find "auto level control" anywhere in the menu. Very disapointing!
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Averdahl
When using the AG-MYA30 you can not set any input levels to auto.
Do you know if the DVC-30 can be set to auto mic level as with a Sony TRV900 or VX2000?

I have the DVC62 full size version of the DC30 and can't find "auto level control" anywhere in the menu. Very disapointing!
The only volume controls you can set to auto in the DVC30 is: The built in microphone and any source connected to the 3.5mm mic in plug.

How to do it on a DVC30:
Press the Menu button on the camera and keep it pressed for about 1-3 seconds. This brings up the Audio Level Setup on the DVC30 and let you choose from there.

I guess it works the same on DVC62.

Did it work on the DVC62?

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Roger

Thanks for the reply but no the DVC62 has manual winders on the left side of the cam so no need to go into the menu. Thats OK but still there seems to be no auto level/compression on the camera which is just crazy.

Hoping there are some other DVC62 camera users out there who can shead some light on this!
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #49
Regular Crew

Just a shot in the dark

Have you checked to see if the phantom power switch is on or off?

Years ago I had a camera that would hiss if I plugged in a mic that did not need juice but the phantom power switch was in the "on" position.

I'm assuming (yes, always dangerous) you have a switch on that camera to engage or disable the phantom power function for each audio input.

Check to see that it is off.

You claim the problem goes away when you use the built in mic. Those usually require phantom power while most hand mics do not.

This can also be a problem if you are using a wireless. You may have a wireless receiver hooked up to the camera, a battery inside the receiver, and additional juice coming into the wireless receiver because the phantom power switch is activated. That is not good and, again, can cause audio problem.

Lots of people don't understand you can not leave the phantom power on all the time. It's only to be used with mics that need a battery, like a lav or maybe a shotgun mic. Turn it off if your mic set up does not require the extra volts.

Using other mics, and having that little extra juice running up the line can give you a variety of audio hums, hisses and/or hits, depending on the mic or camera.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by John DuMontelle; January 28th, 2006 at 10:43 AM.
John DuMontelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM   #50
Fred Retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Williams
...I still would buy [a DVC30] in second over a GL2 even with the bad audio...
Why? Just curious.
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #51
New Boot

Trouble with AG-MYA30G

I bought a brand new DVC30 from B&H Photo about a week ago, and had ordered the XLR adapter and MC100 mic a week or so earlier new on Ebay with warranty (a previous camera deal on Ebay had gone sour, hence ordering the mic before the camera... no money lost). However, after attaching the mic to the camera, I cannot get a signal and don't know why. I supposed it was a plug-and-play system, but I looked through the manuals of both devices and checked the menu on the camera numerous times with no success. Am I doing something wrong to get the signal from the mic?

I've already contacted the Ebay store that I bought the adapter from and they said if I want to send it back they'll send a new one, but it'd be better for me if this one just worked (volleyball tournament this weekend to go shoot).

Thanks for any help,
"Simmons"
Ken Adcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #52
Major Player

make sure you have phantom power selected if your mic needs it. When you plug in the adapter, your camera will automatically recognize it.
Michael Fossenkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #53
New Boot

Must be the adapter

I've done that to no avail. Guess I'll be sending the thing back then. Thanks for the info.

-Simmons
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #54
Major Player

Ken, before you send the mic and the AG-MYA30 back, test it with another mic and/or another mic cable. And, test your mic on another camera.

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:14 AM   #55
Major Player

I'm guessing you've cranked the little wheels all the way open.

After double checking the phantom power, I'm also guessing you've tried both xlr connections. One has the ability to switch between line input and mic input.

If you don't have any way to test the mic and cable, maybe you can take it to a local Guitar Center and just ask them for help. If it's slow they'll probably help, then just buy another xlr cable to make them happy. You can never have enough anyhow...
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #56
New Boot

Did all a' that earlier

I think i pretty much thouroughly tested the thing. Tried a different mic, tried the pana mic on summat else, tried every combonation of switches and input 1/2 and what have you under the sun. I'm positive it's busted. Thanks for the suggestions though. Luckily I don't have to send the mic back... just the adapter.

-Simmons
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Rode VideoMic Shotgun & DVC30?

Greetings:

I am looking for a mic for my DVC30, and am considering the Rode VideoMic Shotgun (see: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search ). Just wondering if anyone has this mic, and any comments about it? Also, how long will the battery last in it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jon
Jonathan Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #58
Inner Circle

I don't own a Rode Videomic (yet), but probably will fairly soon (when I get around to ordering one from B&H). From all I've read though, it should be an excellent choice for you, if you need a shotgun mic for your DVC30.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Thanks, Robert. Let me digress here and ask another related question. Initially I was going to purchase the mic that Panasonic makes for this cam, but read on this forum that it is only so-so.

I don't know if the Panasonic mic fell short of other user's needs because of what they were using it for (if use even makes a difference). There are things I like about the Pana mic (less expensive - by the time you add the batteries and charger to the Rode - and, more important to me is the weight - 2.9 oz compared to over 6). I carry mine for hours on end, and a few oz's can make a difference.

So let me pose this question to the group of experts on this forum: Would the Panasonic mic be up to the challenge of recording the sounds of nature (rivers, birds, breeze)?

Thanks, and best regards,

Jon
Jonathan Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #60
Inner Circle

I'm not sure what Panasonic mic you are referring to.

The Rode Videomic uses a 9 volt alkaline battery, and a fresh one should last 100 hours, so it's not exactly a huge expense.

I doubt that a mono super-cardioid would really be ideal for picking up the ambient sounds of nature you mention. You might consider an Audio Technica AT822 stereo microphone for that (higher pricetag than the Rode though).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant