AG-DVC30 Audio, XLR, Mic questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant

Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant
The 4K DVX200 plus previous Panasonic Pro Line cams: DVX100A, DVC60, DVC30.

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:15 AM   #1
New Boot

AG-DVC30 Audio, XLR, Mic questions

I have just started using my DVC30 for some backup shots and am having trouble getting my shotgun mic to feed to the camera. The manual is not very clear on setting the input device to external, has anyone used an external feed on the DVC30 or is the DVX100 close enough to reason it out?

I would like to use the Mic off my old XL1 but it would not feed either.

Any clues?
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I mounted a shotgun on my DVC30 and connected it - worked the first time - no menu selections at all. I am not using XLR.
Chris Byrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Hiss- Hum More Sound for DVC-30

I just read an earlier thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=39808

Is there an audio problem with the DVC30? Do all of them have this problem when you use the XLR connector? I was just about to order a new DVC30. For me this could be a very serious problem.

I have Sennheiser - ME66/K6 and was expecting to get pro quality sound.

From what I read, a ten cent mic or four hundred dollar mic will have hiss in the audio. Are other DVC30 owners having this problem? ...... HELP
Dan Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Major Player

sorry can't be of any help, but would like a response on this topic also...
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I have a post in

"sound for the agdvc30"

with a link to an example of the noise that relates to this question.

hoping for some expert opinions...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #6
New Boot

Recording internal mic and XLR at the same time using the DVC-30

Hi Guys,

I just upgraded my DVC-30 with the MYA30G-XLR box.
I wanted to do some real time comparisons between the
internal mic and some XLR mics.
Is there any way to record the one side of the internal mic
on one channel and one external mic on the
second channel, so I can do a side by side?

Also, heard good things about the AT4073A.
I would like something less directional, like a Sein ME-64.
Is there an AT mic with the quality of the 4073A, but has a
wider pattern (and about the same cost)?

Thanks,
Isaac
Isaac Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Wrangler

Isaac, I've moved your post to the Panasonic DVX/DVC board so that other DVC30 owners can see your post.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Isaac,

I'll have to double check but I think when you use the xlr box it disables the onboard mike.

Can someone verify this?
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
New Boot

MYA30G-XLR has issues

Hi Reid,

Yup, you are right. I plugged in the MYA30G-XLR box into my DVC30, and the internal mike is disabled. Plus, the record levels that you access via the menu are also disabled. The MYA30G does have very small manual dials for level control.

So, my big issue with using the MYA30G is these small manual dials are hard to see and get at in the dark. I record local musicians, and the first time I used the MYA30G, I kept on bumping it trying to find the dials, which added thumping noises to the recording. Even if I was very careful, I still managed to lightly hit the box enough to be heard on the recording. This is very annoying, since I'm adjusting the recording levels often during a show. Even though the menu levels required a few clicks to get to the levels, it was much easier to adjust the levels and you could do it without bumping the unit and adding noise.

I know I could get one of those rubber band mike mounts for better isolation, but I still think it would be very difficult to constantly tweak the levels with the MYA30G without adding noise.

I had a BeachTek before, and it had nice big manual level controls which sat below the DVC30, so it was far from the mike. The reason I upgraded was I read here that many didn't like using the mike jack connector, since it is not a "quality" connector, and the MYA30G has a much better "XLR-like" shielded connector. Well, given the hassles of using the MYA30G manual dials, I think I would rather use the inferior mike connector with the BeachTek.

Now, I am thinking of recording the audio from my external mikes separately (using the new Marantz 660). That way I have audio from the internal mike on the DV tape, and audio from the external mike on the Marantz 660 - which seems to give you the most flexibility when recording.

Later,
Isaac
Old April 11th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #10
Trustee

Why are you adjusting during recording?

Don't you do sound checks before you start recording and set you levels then? Why in the midst of recording would you monkey with the settings?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:34 PM   #11
New Boot

Somtimes you have to keep on adjusting the levels

Hi Stephen,

Alot of time the sound checks are not open to the public. Alot of times I get there just when they are starting. So the music starts, and you start adjusting the levels fast. It seems I'm always tweaking the level throughout the show, especially if the musicians change during the show.

Anyways, I was able to trade the MYA30G back for the Beachtek 2S, and I am much happier. I'm still looking at getting a Marantz 660 with the Oade brothers pre-amp mod to record from the mike separately from the internal mike.

Isaac
Old April 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Trustee

Have not had levels issues with DVC30 XLR

Hi,

I use mainly the onboard mic for ambient only and hardly ever use the XLR for getting live video during a music shoot. Do you have a laptop? You can get plugged in audio most of the time if your shooting in a club. I use the M-audio PreUSB connected to a laptop and Sonar XL.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 02:38 PM   #13
New Boot

DVC-30, rode videomic, DXA-2 Help!

I just recently got the videomic and the DXA-2 but when i try to hook them up they won't work. The videomic works perfectly going thru the mic jack on the camera but when i run it thru the DXA-2 there's no sound at all. anyone out there have this same problem?
Kyle Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

This thread may help:

http://www.pana3ccduser.com/showthre...light=beachtek
Xiaoli Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM   #15
Major Player

High frequencies in DVC30's sound

Hi!

I have a DVC30 and all sound i record has a +20dB boost in the 15500Hz to 15800Hz range with a peak at 15600Hz. This is present even if the microphone is not connected to the camera and thus recording only silence.

I have tested with and without the XLR-box AG-MYA30 with the same result, so it is not related to the microphones or the XLR-box . If i set the input volume to 0 the high frequence is still present. I have tested this on two DVC30's with the same results...

This can be fixed with a notch filter in post production so its not a big issue but quite irritating.

The question is, do you have the same boost in those high frequences?

I have used the Frequeuncy Analysis in Adobe Auditon to actually see those frequences.

/Roger
Roger Averdahl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic DVX / DVC Assistant