The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread - Page 41 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old March 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #601
Major Player

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Mike how lightweight a tripod do you mean? I have a tripod from Gorilla which is quite nice for tiny little thing. Actually a smooth pan! But I do have others.

GorillaPod Video - Video tripod system for personal handheld cameras
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #602
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rook View Post
My first post on here for quite a while.

I've purchased a TM900 after coming from a Canon XHA1. As I wasn't shooting much video (I'm mainly a still photographer) I decided to sell. Well, a couple of years later I decided I wanted to get back into shooting video so thought (after reading a lot about it) I'd go for the Panasonic. So far I'm really pleased. The IQ is superb (a match for my old Canon) but I'm a little confused on a couple of areas......

For starters, I've had to move over to Premiere Pro as my Sony Vegas Pro isn't supported by my new Mac platform. Shooting in 1080/50P is also a new thing for me. My vids are for PC/Mac playback and I always saved to wmv. It now seems that H.264 is the way to go unless I purchase a wmv codec thingy for the Mac.

My first question (stick with me).....

The footage is shot in 50P so I take it there should be no field order or deinterlacing. When I save the video I find I get smoother footage when I set the field order to 'lower' at 50fps (in the H.264 codec settings). Now, if I right click on the timeline video and change the Field Options from 'None' to 'Always Deinterlace' then save the video but with 60fps and progressive I get smoother footage and a sharper picture. Can anyone explain this to me?

I still have a few other questions regarding Camera settings but wanted to clear this one up first.

Cheers,

Mark
If you are viewing on a computer monitor you will not get completely smooth video because typically your monitor is running at 60Hz and not 50Hz, so there are extra frames added/duplicated and this gives rise to some judder depending on the scene. On a HDMI TV this wouldn't be an issue as it would run at 50Hz to match the source. Also you computer may not be able to decode 1080/50p without some problems giving rise to even more stutters and judder.

Changing interlace settings is probably invoking the de-interlacer and more field-interpolation so smoothing things out better for 60Hz.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #603
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Lepki View Post
I am thinking of using two L-shaped profiles side by side to form rails for the dolly's narrow wheels:

V=====V

This would prevent the dolly from rolling of the contraption. I'll post any future developments.
Just did some experimenting - the lightstands I wanted to use for support are out. They are too wobbly.
It looks like microphone stands will be used instead.
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #604
Major Player

Why not just two inexpensive tripods?

I bought my materials yesterday and will hopefully put it together in the next week or so. I'm going with a laminated shelf with 1 x 2" on the edges to create an I-Beam of sorts, and inlaying 1/4 x 20 inserts on each end for mounting on two tripods. I may add adjustable feet on the corners for floor use. All in all, about $20 total.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #605
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
Why not just two inexpensive tripods?

I bought my materials yesterday and will hopefully put it together in the next week or so. I'm going with a laminated shelf with 1 x 2" on the edges to create an I-Beam of sorts, and inlaying 1/4 x 20 inserts on each end for mounting on two tripods. I may add adjustable feet on the corners for floor use. All in all, about $20 total.
I just happen to have a couple of mic stands, that's all. At the beginning I was concerned with the total weight of the device that's why aluminum light stands came to mind. Mic stands are heavier but that will add to the stability of the device.
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #606
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bergstein View Post
Mike how lightweight a tripod do you mean? I have a tripod from Gorilla which is quite nice for tiny little thing. Actually a smooth pan! But I do have others.

GorillaPod Video - Video tripod system for personal handheld cameras
Thanks for the reply, Al. that looks like something as porable as you can get. Would be nice to have that in the bag. However, I was looking for something I could use for fast deployment for use at eye level. My set up will have a seperate micicrophone and video light when needed.
Mike Hinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #607
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hinkel View Post
I was looking for something I could use for fast deployment for use at eye level. My set up will have a seperate micicrophone and video light when needed.
Mike, have you consider a monopod? They have some limitations comparing to tripods but in some situations a monopod can do a good job.
Old March 7th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #608
New Boot

Quote:
Mike, have you consider a monopod? They have some limitations comparing to tripods but in some situations a monopod can do a good job.

Thanks for the suggestion, Adrian. I have used monopods for regular camera work. I would like to incorporate shooting stills from a point and shoot while running the video camera on the tripod for different points of view. .
Old March 7th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #609
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hinkel View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, Adrian. I have used monopods for regular camera work. I would like to incorporate shooting stills from a point and shoot while running the video camera on the tripod for different points of view. .
Here is my super light "travel" tripod:

I put it together some time ago for the specific purpose of travelling light. It consists of legs from Manfrotto 718SHB tripod and 701RC2 head. Also the center post was replaced with a longer one from one of Manfrotto's monopods. This tripod is 18" long or 54" fully extended.
Old March 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #610
New Boot

Quote:
Here is my super light "travel" tripod:

I put it together some time ago for the specific purpose of travelling light. It consists of legs from Manfrotto 718SHB tripod and 701RC2 head. Also the center post was replaced with a longer one from one of Manfrotto's monopods. This tripod is 18" long or 54" fully extended.
Thanks Adrian. Nice looking setup, but a tad over my budget.
Old March 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #611
Regular Crew

Dolly on rails cont.

Here are a couple of pictures of work in progress.

Rails on the floor:

Close-up:

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #612
Major Player

Looks nice. I hope it works and you'll share the outcome with us. I'm going a little more "blue collar" on mine - the Jethro effect!
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #613
Regular Crew

Thanks Roger, it will take few more days to get rid of rough edges and spray paint black the whole thing.

Some details: the overll length is 46.5" so it fits in the bag with the stands and some other stuff (the bag is 48"). The hole in the middle is for mounting the camera sideways.

In general this contraption can be used in 4 configurations:

1. directly on the ground, where the dolly by itself can't move, ie. sand
2. supported on table mic stands for low angles
3. supported on floor mic stands
4. as "the plank cam" as seen in this video at 0:30sec

Zero Budget Filmmaking: The Plank Cam - YouTube
I hope to post some results in coming weeks.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #614
Regular Crew

Cont. > Table dolly on rails - first trials.

It is quite difficult to keep this dolly moving at a steady speed. Especially at slower speeds. Hopefully with practice my technique will improve.

Last edited by Adrian Lepki; March 15th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Adrian Lepki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #615
Trustee

Here's a change of speed with the TM900: a sports video. Specifically, American baseball. This was a game that went from bright sunlight past sundown. Shows the OIS at work (all handheld), the great colors and smooth zoom.

108060p, 1/60th shutter. Manual iris and sometimes manual focus.

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders