The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread - Page 39 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic HC Series Camcorders
4K and HD consumer camcorders with professional interest.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #571
Major Player

Re: The Panasonic TM900 Users Thread

Thanks Tom. Yes, I know about the internal ND filter thing happening, but it's the first time when I read that I lose resolution going past the "virtual" F8. Good to keep that in mind.

Can you name a good converter then? Most people here want their weddings in SD, I have to produce "good-looking" SD footage from the 1080/50p no matter the cost.
Luc Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:47 AM   #572
Inner Circle

Have you told us what NLE system you're using?
Edius makes pretty good looking DVDs straight off the end of a 50p timeline, albeit with pretty boring looking menus.

One good thing to come out of this is that fancy swirling menus can look somewhat pretentious on a lot of films and in fact are not generally necessary. I like the fact that using Edius you can have a 'hidden' series of menu pages - only accessible if it's called up using the DVD's remote.

When people take the time to load your film into their player it's because they want to see your film, not because they want to know clever you are in a DVD authoring programme.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:11 AM   #573
Major Player

Yessir, I mentioned I was using Premiere (and therefore Encore to produce the DVDs with menus). I understand how Premiere works and got used to it (now learning After Effects as well), so I'm not sure whether I should switch to Edius, although lots of folks here seem to be using it.

You are right, I'm not going to worry too much about the menus. It's probably going to be a picture taken at their wedding with some linked text on top of it :) what I am going to worry about is getting that SD footage right.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM   #574
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Have you told us what NLE system you're using?
.....When people take the time to load your film into their player it's because they want to see your film, not because they want to know clever you are in a DVD authoring programme...... tom.
I'm of the same opinion. I use Vegas Pro as my main NLE and Sony's DVD Architect Pro to author the DVDs. No sure about other NLE's but with mine you can just add markers where you want Chapters to be and thats it, job done. The client skips between Chapters in the DVD by pressing the various buttons on their remote. No need for a menu screen at all.

I would imagine that other NLE's must have similar?

Tomorrow the TM900's successor, the X900, is launched. Perhaps this monster thread will then curl up and die :- ) Its been frustrating trying to find out detailed information about the newbie as the manuals are not yet available for download. Panasonic's interactive comparison page seems to indicate that the X900 may not have backlight compensation, which would be a major fail for me as it works extremely well on the TM900 and TM700. We shall see, as we shall also with the batteries - anyone want to bet on whether they introduce yet another new design incompatible with previous ones and priced silly!

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:08 PM   #575
Regular Crew

I have been shooting exclusively in 1080/60P and editing in Premiere CS5.5 using a 1080/60p or 1080/60i project. After editing I just export the edited file using the MP2-DVD preset in order to create a file that can be used by Encore to create an SD DVD. You can also export the same timeline to a Blu-ray HD format to create Blu-ray DVD's using Encore. From a quality standpoint the SD DVD is OK but probably not as good as might be accomplished using some other converters (from what I have read on the web). However, for my purposes the result is good enough and clearly a lot faster than using some of the complex processes others have developed to achieve ultimate SD quality.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM   #576
Major Player

Thanks for the insight Alan. In other words, you just export to a lower framerate using a 25p preset, there's no undersampling button to check (like in Vegas) so that Premiere doesn't merge 2 frames into 1, it just automatically drops every other frame.

I have the best of the former generation i5s, I see a lot of overclocking in its near future.
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM   #577
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
I'm of the same opinion. I use Vegas Pro as my main NLE and Sony's DVD Architect Pro to author the DVDs. No sure about other NLE's but with mine you can just add markers where you want Chapters to be and thats it, job done. The client skips between Chapters in the DVD by pressing the various buttons on their remote. No need for a menu screen at all.

I would imagine that other NLE's must have similar?

Tomorrow the TM900's successor, the X900, is launched. Perhaps this monster thread will then curl up and die :- ) Its been frustrating trying to find out detailed information about the newbie as the manuals are not yet available for download. Panasonic's interactive comparison page seems to indicate that the X900 may not have backlight compensation, which would be a major fail for me as it works extremely well on the TM900 and TM700. We shall see, as we shall also with the batteries - anyone want to bet on whether they introduce yet another new design incompatible with previous ones and priced silly!

Pete
The X900 isn't anything very different to the TM900, a nod to this fact is Panasonic have kept the model numbers the same, although PR/marketing have gone to town with adding "Pro" after everything!

The 3MOS sensors are the same sensors that Panasonic introduced in the TM300 a few years ago and they are not backlit.

The main difference with the X900 is the lens has been shifted a little to favour a wider angle at the expense of some zoom.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:12 AM   #578
Major Player

Just to clarify Phil, I was referring to the menu function "backlight compensation". This is very effective where the cam is a B-cam locked down unattended and the subject is in front of windows through which variable amounts of sunlight enter during e.g. wedding ceremonies and speeches. Its a form of exposure compensation obviously but not only is it good at calculating the correct amount it also changes that amount if conditions change midshoot. Unfortunately its one of the functions that are not sticky so has to be reselected every time the screen is opened.

I may go for the non built in flash memory version this time round. As far as I can see you loose 5.1 plus the ability of the mic it mimic a shotgun mic at long zooms but so what. Screen not so highres but usable. I also like the idea of not having recordings on an inaccessible (in the event of failure) internal memory plus the ability to download SD cards via the incredibly fast USB3.

Pete
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #579
Major Player

Well the official launch date came and went, and now Amazon UK are reporting 1 to 3 months.

So I've bought an end of line TM900, unused ex-display from a reputable bricks and mortar retailer at £630 - which is a great price for the UK. My other TM900 cost £853 and my TM700 £776.

The X900 user manual is now on Panasonic UK's site and I'm pleased to see that it does have backlight compensation and it does use the exact same batteries as the TM900.

Pete
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #580
Major Player

I'm just wandering... when filming a wedding, would it be a good idea to record the church part and signing the wedding papers part (not sure what you call them in English, sorry!) using the VideoMic Pro, and then use the TM900's microphone (set to stereo) to record the sound at the restaurant with the loud music? From what I've read here, stereo sound would be better suited for music and ambient noise in general. I can't afford the new Stereo VideoMic Pro, that's why I ask.
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #581
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
I'm just wandering... when filming a wedding, would it be a good idea to record the church part and signing the wedding papers part (not sure what you call them in English, sorry!) using the VideoMic Pro, and then use the TM900's microphone (set to stereo) to record the sound at the restaurant with the loud music? From what I've read here, stereo sound would be better suited for music and ambient noise in general. I can't afford the new Stereo VideoMic Pro, that's why I ask.
For shooting weddings and similar events a good idea is to have more than one sound recording device. It gives you more flexibility in editing. For example, in a church you could film the ceremony up close with your TM900/VideoMic Pro, changing angles etc. and at the same time you could record the choir using something like a Zoom H1 recorder (having an assistant would help here).
Similar is a situation in a restaurant - you could walk around, from table to table filming the wedding guests talking etc. and at the same time the Zoom H1 could be position in a location to record the band music.

Having (at least) two sound tracks from such events helps enormously in post production. The tracks must be synchronized prior to editing and for this PluralEyes software does an excellent job.
Adrian Lepki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM   #582
Major Player

Great stuff Adrian, thank you! I don't have a Zoom H1, but I do have an iRiver which can be paired to the VideoMic Pro, however I'm not sure how well it would do for band recording. And then I could use the TM900's mic to walk around the tables and get that sound separately. Thank you sir, great idea!
Old February 29th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #583
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Spencer View Post
I wouldn't worry to much about the sound from the signing of the register, you are not going to pick up much usable dialogue at that part of the wedding. With your Rode, get it as close as possible to the action at both the ceremony and the reception. Using the mic mounted on the camera, or thecameras built in mic, the sound is going to be very dissapointing. In the absence of radio mics, any mic you use, really has to be as close to the sound source as possible
Old February 29th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #584
Regular Crew

For the "signing of the register" situation I'd again suggest a separate recording device placed ahead of time right next to the register. Philips makes 'conference kits' with boundary mics that could be used in such circumstances:

Adrian Lepki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 04:10 AM   #585
New Boot

SD 900 replacement battery.

Just received a VW VBN 260 replacement chipped battery from China for 30 euros. I found it on ebay.
Fits perfectly, shows the time remaining. I was going to get the VBN 130 to have two of the same size but as they are almost the same price I thought it better to go for the bigger one as its better value for money.

My experience with replacement camera batteries has been good. Some have lasted a long time and some have died on me. Overall I have made huge savings compared to the rip off prices of the original batteries.

I will let you know how it goes.
Mark Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic HC Series Camcorders