GH2's are arriving now. Better than 7D? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old December 17th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #1
Inner Circle

GH2's are arriving now. Better than 7D?

I just got mine a few days ago. I haven't had a chance to use it much and my reference point is the Canon EOS 7D. It's a lot smaller physically than the 7D and doesn't have the great build quality. So far, moire and aliasing haven't been an issue. I've tried shooting high contrast tight patterns, cityscapes, different fabrics, and have been unsuccessful at producing any moire or aliasing. It also has a sharper picture, though I didn't point it at charts, I don't like charts much. If I made videos about charts maybe I'd feel differently. The 7d might have slightly more latitude, some reviews are claiming that. Who knows. Basically, it gives you more or less the same shallow focus ability as the 7d with a much cleaner, less distracting image.

Then there are 3 other things about the GH2 that I wish the 7d had. 1) LCD that flips out and swivels 2) EX crop mode, doubles the length of your lens by cropping the sensor 3) works with about any lens ever made as long as you can find an adapter.

7d though probably mops the floor with it in term of still photography.

Overall, seeing you can find these things as low as $600 without lens and every lens you already own will work on it, it starts feeling like a no brainer.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Where in the world did you get it for $600?! My local camera shop just got one in yesterday. I put a hold on it because I'm not positive I should get it just yet. The one they have comes with the 14-42 Panasonic kit lens. Should I wait and try to snag the one with the 14-140mm lens? Body only? Are those two lenses comparable in picture quality?

Based on reviews and whatnot I'm thinking of getting the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm 0.95f lens. Since the camera leaves OIS to the lens and the Voigtlander has no OIS, does it make it totally useless on a shoulder rig or other unstable setup? If I get the Voigtlander I'll have some crossover with the 14-42 lens, making it redundant, right? Are these numbers all the equivalent crop factor or actual focal lengths? To cover all my bases (focal lengths) what are a good set of lenses for the GH2? I know you can put any lens on this thing, but what would best be optimized for MFT? Thanks!
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There were some web discounts about two weeks ago, I rolled the dice and signed up, fully expecting that I was on some mirror site giving credit card info to some hacker in Tajekistan. Turns out it was legit, GH2 body shows up at my doorstep.

I vote thumbs down on the 14-42 because it's slow. And also on the 14-140 because it's slow and expensive. I ordered the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8 from a dvinfo sponsor. It might not be perfect but, and to answer your question, with the 1.9 crop factor, it's a 27-107mm equivalent and then with the clever EX mode that crops the sensor, you get bumped up to 54-214mm. Throw on my WAD, and I'm down to a true 14-54mm again. So that should be a pretty good walkaround lens. 14-214mm.

For me, OIS isn't important, I'm always on a monopod or tripod.

Shot more test footage today, it's such a relief not to see that Canon aliasing and moire all over the place. Load off my back.

Battery life isn't fantastic, 7d was better. And unlike the 7d, Panasonic took steps to shut out 3rd party battery hacks. Fine, a battery is $90. Much cheaper than and AB or IDX. However, No one on the planet seems to stock the Panny battery!

Also, the onboard audio of the Canon is truly horrific. So far, the GH2 sound seems much better, though this is still a system that in most cases will require double system sound.
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Have you thought about purchasing the Lumix 1.7 pancake lens? It'd give you the Lumix features with still a fairly quick lens. It's about $300 and a lot of people are swearing by it.
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Trustee

Audio meters on screen and manual audio control is another thing the GH2 has in it's favour. Not to mention the awesome viewfinder and touchscreen (optional - can be switched on or off) which will allow you to do spot focus quickly with AF lenses.

As for what lenses you can use, well, the possibilities are almost limitless. You can use micro 4/3rds as well as standard 4/3rds lenses via an electronic adaptor, and with the m4/3rds system beginning to mature there are now far more options than a year ago. M42 lenses are often a nice size/weight match for the minisucle body, the only downside being that there are not many wide M42 lenses so the crop factor can be an issue. Older Pentax, Nikon, Olympus OM and Canon FD lenses work great. There is also an adaptor available which lets you use newer Nikon lenses (including those from 3rd party manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron, etc) even if they don't have an iris ring on the lens - this is a great option because it opens up a world of newer lenses designed for APS-C crop sensors, so you can get wider and more compact lenses than if you are using older glass. An adaptor has also just become available for newer Canon lenses but the design is dubious so I'd be hesitant to use it until there are some good reviews around.

With the 1:1 crop mode, there are even more possibilities which people will surely start experimenting with... apart from c-mount lenses which people are already using there will likely be all sorts of attempts to use 2/3" lenses which we'll be seeing the results of shortly.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
M42 lenses are often a nice size/weight match for the minisucle body, the only downside being that there are not many wide M42 lenses so the crop factor can be an issue. \.
Here's a nice wide Lumix. 7-14mmm. Panasonic Lumix G 7-14mm f/4 ASPH - Review / Test Report

Not so cheap though.

So far I'm loving what my vintage Pentax SMC 50mm f1.4 is producing. And as you say, the EVF is excellent. I prefer it to the Sony EX3 which got a lot of positive reviews. The camera costs less than a SxS card! Soccer moms have officially closed the gap I think.
Old December 18th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I ordered the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8 from a dvinfo sponsor. It might not be perfect but, and to answer your question, with the 1.9 crop factor, it's a 27-107mm equivalent and then with the clever EX mode that crops the sensor, you get bumped up to 54-214mm.
I also got this lens and I think its an awesome lens, especially for the price. I am calling it a must have for the GH2 and AF100.
Old December 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Yeah there's plenty of nice wide m4/3rds lenses - from Panasonic and Olympus as well. As you mentioned though they are not cheap - and you can't really find any micro 4/3rds lenses second hand yet. Which is why I was talking about M42 screw in lenses - they are designed for 35mm film, so it's difficult to find anything much wider than 28mm. However many of the lenses are smaller than other systems so they are a nice match for micro 4/3rds bodies.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins View Post
I also got this lens and I think its an awesome lens, especially for the price. I am calling it a must have for the GH2 and AF100.
Hi Steev, what camera are you using it on? The lens is actually 4/3 and not Micro 4/3 as I understand it so it requires an adapter. Hard to get info on it.
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
There were some web discounts about two weeks ago, I rolled the dice and signed up, fully expecting that I was on some mirror site giving credit card info to some hacker in Tajekistan. Turns out it was legit, GH2 body shows up at my doorstep.

I vote thumbs down on the 14-42 because it's slow. And also on the 14-140 because it's slow and expensive. I ordered the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8 from a dvinfo sponsor. It might not be perfect but, and to answer your question, with the 1.9 crop factor, it's a 27-107mm equivalent and then with the clever EX mode that crops the sensor, you get bumped up to 54-214mm. Throw on my WAD, and I'm down to a true 14-54mm again. So that should be a pretty good walkaround lens. 14-214mm.

For me, OIS isn't important, I'm always on a monopod or tripod.

Shot more test footage today, it's such a relief not to see that Canon aliasing and moire all over the place. Load off my back.

Battery life isn't fantastic, 7d was better. And unlike the 7d, Panasonic took steps to shut out 3rd party battery hacks. Fine, a battery is $90. Much cheaper than and AB or IDX. However, No one on the planet seems to stock the Panny battery!

Also, the onboard audio of the Canon is truly horrific. So far, the GH2 sound seems much better, though this is still a system that in most cases will require double system sound.
Question--Do you need an adaptor for the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8 to go on the GH2?
Jim Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Question--Do you need an adaptor for the Olympus 14-54mm f/2.8 to go on the GH2?
Yes you do. So tack on another $100 to the lens price. It's an electronic adaptor, that's why it's expensive. But the set up works pretty good. The Zuiko lens is well made, AF is smooth , quiet, and reasonably efficient --better than 7d (not much of a comparison really) and better than my EX3 which used to hunt.
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Brian. What is that adaptor called and where might find it?
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Forrest View Post
Thanks Brian. What is that adaptor called and where might find it?
Here's the one you want. Oly makes one too but it's twice the cost. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/588085-REG/Panasonic_DMW_MA1_DMW_MA1_Mount_Adapter_to.html
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Major Player

"There is also an adaptor available which lets you use newer Nikon lenses (including those from 3rd party manufacturers such as Sigma, Tamron, etc) even if they don't have an iris ring on the lens "

What is this adaptor called and where might one find it? This stuff in new to me, I come from a video background.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Here is the adapter I just bought for like $26 that works with my newer Nikon G lenses (no aperture ring)

The 'open-lock' ring actually works like an aperture ring so you can open/close. Remember to set the GH2 to "No Lens" in the settings. Works perfectly fine, but obviously you're guessing what actual f-stop you're using.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series