DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Remote Controller For GH3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/518396-remote-controller-gh3.html)

Ronald Jackson August 19th, 2013 02:23 AM

Remote Controller For GH3

I need to be able to trigger record/pause remotely. A "Lanc Controller", various sources, did this for my old Canon video cameras, as did their wireless remotes.

Is there anything similar for a GH3? Various remotes mentioned on Pansonic website, eg, DMW-RSL1E, but their functions are described in still (yaaawnnn!) photo terms.

Ron

Nigel Barker August 19th, 2013 03:19 AM

Re: Remote Controller For GH3

Smartphone or tablet & use the WiFi interface?

Ronald Jackson August 19th, 2013 04:16 AM

Thanks Nigel but need something more basic than Wi-Fi, at least for the time being. Will be putting long lenses onto my tripod mounted GH3 in order to film wild birds. Can't get used to videoing in these circumstances where one has to actually touch the rig in order to start/stop.

Ron

Les Wilson August 19th, 2013 04:57 AM

The Wifi interface in the GH3 does not support Stop or Pause recording. It supports Start but the duration is determined by a setting. Having Wifi turned on also increases the power consumption.

William Hohauser August 19th, 2013 05:46 AM

You can try the wired shutter remote Panasonic sells, DMW-RSL1. The manual claims it works for video recording.

Willard Hill August 19th, 2013 06:56 AM

I am using a Vello Brand wired remote made for the GH3 and it works in video mode--if you are using one of the still modes it takes stills, but when you put it in movie mode it works like the lanc controller on the Canons except it does not control any other camera function but start and stop.

Ronald Jackson August 20th, 2013 01:17 AM

Thanks all. Had my first go yesterday- a right bugger having to keep squeezing the video button, often two or three times before recording was triggered.

Ron

Rob Hargreaves August 20th, 2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willard Hill (Post 1809133)
I am using a Vello Brand wired remote made for the GH3 and it works in video mode--if you are using one of the still modes it takes stills, but when you put it in movie mode it works like the lanc controller on the Canons except it does not control any other camera function but start and stop.

Could you let us know which model and perhaps a link?
Thanks

Willard Hill August 20th, 2013 07:52 PM

Here is the link to the Vello wired remote control on the B&H website:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766338-REG/Vello_RS_P1II_RS_P1II_Wired_Remote_Switch.html
It doesn't include the GH3 in the list of compatible cameras, but it is listed under it as an accessory and I have used the remote both on a GH2 and a GH3.

Ronald Jackson August 20th, 2013 11:17 PM

I've purchased something similar via Amazon UK (trying to limit my use of Amazon !). Badged differently but looks the same. Ten quid though rather than ten bucks. That's what living on an island does !

Ron

Bernardo Gutierrez December 1st, 2013 05:11 PM

Hello Willard. Does the Vello remote has the half-press function to force Auto focus just like the GH3 shutter button?

Willard Hill December 2nd, 2013 11:43 AM

Bernardo, If you push the button slightly it will activate the focus and pushing it the entire way triggers the camera..

Leon Kolenda December 3rd, 2013 01:35 AM

If yur looking fora real good remote, this one rocks! even time lapse!

Creative ways of triggering your camera - Triggertrap

Southerndude