DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   Second camera to use with GH3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/524432-second-camera-use-gh3.html)

Aletha Jones August 7th, 2014 03:18 PM

Second camera to use with GH3

Hello!

I am looking to get a second camera to use with the GH3. Cost is always a factor, but not so that I may not be able to stretch my budget for the right purchase. I see that the BMPCC is slashed in 1/2. I was also considering the GH4 upgrade, or just another GH3. Is the BMPCC something profitable in view of what I already have, and will I be able to integrate that if not easily with at least just a modest amount of effort. I researched the extras it may need, would run less than the GH4:or considering the GH4, forgo other needed purchases to not waste money on a lesser model GH3 when an upgrade is the smarter future choice. Also, does the BMPCC always require color grading? I wouldn't be working with raw, now; but maybe in the future with an upgrade in computer or laptop.

I work solo about 75% of the time. I do mostly narrative set-ups, rarely event shooting. I have a 2009 17in MacBook Pro with 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 to edit on, won't upgrade that yet. I have 2 great lenses, but no zoom -Voigtlander 17.5 and 25. And, also 50mm 1.9 Yashica lens. Could possibly afford a zoom if got a cheaper camera then the GH4, but want to be smart about it, I could make these other lenses do for now.

Thanks all for the always priceless input on it's way!

Noa Put August 7th, 2014 03:59 PM

Re: Second camera to use with GH3

From what I have seen so far it will be difficult to color match the pocketcam with the gh3, get a g6 instead, great little cheap camera that will match without a issue with your gh3.

Kevin McRoberts August 9th, 2014 07:25 AM

2nd used GH3. Since you're already set up with batteries and accessories for one, there's nothing simpler and barely anything cheaper. Select identical settings and roll.

GH4 uses many of the same batts/accessories as well, so if you're able to stretch your budget, try that.

Gary Huff August 9th, 2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aletha Jones (Post 1857519)
I see that the BMPCC is slashed in 1/2.

That promotion is gone if you haven't ordered already. If you get a BMPCC now, it's back to $995.

William Hohauser August 9th, 2014 03:43 PM

A GH2 is very close to the GH3 from my experience. Probably even cheaper now.

Bo Skelmose August 13th, 2014 10:41 AM

I would choose a GH4 ;)

Oren Arieli August 13th, 2014 12:31 PM

Panny G6, lots of great features, small form factor and affordable cost. Battery power isn't as good as the GH series, but you can always rig up an external battery pack and battery adapter for run times in the hours (I do this for timelapse recordings).

Aletha Jones September 30th, 2014 10:36 PM

Everyone!

Thanks so much for all your input. I looked into each option that was suggested, thought long and hard, giving each option it's due consideration.

At the end of the day, I choose to get another GH3 and, also, purchase a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. What drove my choice was the reduce price offered by B & H, down $300; and, I got a $100 gift certificate. I figure when the GH4 comes down in price, I'll upgrade, then, and be one great lens the better for it.

Appreciate you all. This is the place to come for answers!