Second camera to use with GH3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old August 7th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Second camera to use with GH3

Hello!

I am looking to get a second camera to use with the GH3. Cost is always a factor, but not so that I may not be able to stretch my budget for the right purchase. I see that the BMPCC is slashed in 1/2. I was also considering the GH4 upgrade, or just another GH3. Is the BMPCC something profitable in view of what I already have, and will I be able to integrate that if not easily with at least just a modest amount of effort. I researched the extras it may need, would run less than the GH4:or considering the GH4, forgo other needed purchases to not waste money on a lesser model GH3 when an upgrade is the smarter future choice. Also, does the BMPCC always require color grading? I wouldn't be working with raw, now; but maybe in the future with an upgrade in computer or laptop.

I work solo about 75% of the time. I do mostly narrative set-ups, rarely event shooting. I have a 2009 17in MacBook Pro with 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 to edit on, won't upgrade that yet. I have 2 great lenses, but no zoom -Voigtlander 17.5 and 25. And, also 50mm 1.9 Yashica lens. Could possibly afford a zoom if got a cheaper camera then the GH4, but want to be smart about it, I could make these other lenses do for now.

Thanks all for the always priceless input on it's way!
Aletha Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Second camera to use with GH3

From what I have seen so far it will be difficult to color match the pocketcam with the gh3, get a g6 instead, great little cheap camera that will match without a issue with your gh3.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Major Player

2nd used GH3. Since you're already set up with batteries and accessories for one, there's nothing simpler and barely anything cheaper. Select identical settings and roll.

GH4 uses many of the same batts/accessories as well, so if you're able to stretch your budget, try that.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletha Jones View Post
I see that the BMPCC is slashed in 1/2.
That promotion is gone if you haven't ordered already. If you get a BMPCC now, it's back to $995.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

A GH2 is very close to the GH3 from my experience. Probably even cheaper now.
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Major Player

I would choose a GH4 ;)
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Panny G6, lots of great features, small form factor and affordable cost. Battery power isn't as good as the GH series, but you can always rig up an external battery pack and battery adapter for run times in the hours (I do this for timelapse recordings).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Everyone!

Thanks so much for all your input. I looked into each option that was suggested, thought long and hard, giving each option it's due consideration.

At the end of the day, I choose to get another GH3 and, also, purchase a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 lens. What drove my choice was the reduce price offered by B & H, down $300; and, I got a $100 gift certificate. I figure when the GH4 comes down in price, I'll upgrade, then, and be one great lens the better for it.

Appreciate you all. This is the place to come for answers!
Aletha Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series