DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/)
-   -   GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K". (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/panasonic-lumix-s-g-gf-gh-gx-series/531794-gh4-blackmagic-video-assist-4k.html)

Ronald Jackson May 7th, 2016 12:31 AM

GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K".

Has anyone tried out this combination yet? I need a new monitor and one with an added 10 bit 4K recorder might fit the bill.

However I remember that Panasonic had to bring out a firmware update to deal with the Atomos series of 4K recorders, and so something similar may be necessary here.

Ron

Steven Bills May 25th, 2016 09:51 AM

Re: GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K".

Do you know which firmware version the GH4 needs for the Atomos products? I just got the Ninja Flame and output 10 bit 4K with no problem on firmware v2.3. Smooth as butter.

SB

Bob Krieger May 27th, 2016 12:09 PM

Just tried it on mine. Records wonderfully. Just remember to turn off the info display, otherwise... The BlackMagic Video Assist 4K is a nice bit of kit! I'm going to test it out for a greenscreen shot to see the difference between the camera's recording and the BMVA4K's ProRes recording. I'll do both 4:2;2 8-bit and 10-bit output... though 10-bit won't record internally on the GH4.

I'll try to keep y'all posted...

Ronald Jackson May 27th, 2016 11:41 PM

Goodoh! Look forward to your report.

Ron

Bob Krieger May 28th, 2016 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a quick and dirty test using the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K recording from the GH4 in 4:2:2 8-bit and 10-bit mode. I recorded internally (in 8-bit only). It was a quick and dirty shot just to see if I could discern any difference.

I shot in front of a poorly lit green screen with me running the camera and running in front of the camera, so... I'm not showing it!

But, playing with the image, the 10-bit footage from the 4K looked good to my eyes and played well within Premiere. I screwed up the exposure because I was outside trying to beat the rain. The 8-bit looked just as good. I'll try to post again with images this time, in a few days.

Basically, the GH4 plays really well with the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K. BTW, the 7" screen is awesome!

Bob Krieger June 3rd, 2016 12:23 PM

Just updated my BMVA 4K to the 2.0.1 firmware. I can receive signal via the 59.96 NTSC frequency but not with the 24.00 freq. Kinda a mess... But I can still record in 59.96Hz @ 60fps

Scott James Walter June 20th, 2016 09:10 AM

Can you downscale to 1080p with the video assist? What about applying LUTs?