GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K". at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series

Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series
4K and AVCHD on a Full Frame or Micro Four Thirds system with interchangeable lenses.

Old May 7th, 2016, 12:31 AM   #1
Major Player

GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K".

Has anyone tried out this combination yet? I need a new monitor and one with an added 10 bit 4K recorder might fit the bill.

However I remember that Panasonic had to bring out a firmware update to deal with the Atomos series of 4K recorders, and so something similar may be necessary here.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K".

Do you know which firmware version the GH4 needs for the Atomos products? I just got the Ninja Flame and output 10 bit 4K with no problem on firmware v2.3. Smooth as butter.

SB
Steven Bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Just tried it on mine. Records wonderfully. Just remember to turn off the info display, otherwise... The BlackMagic Video Assist 4K is a nice bit of kit! I'm going to test it out for a greenscreen shot to see the difference between the camera's recording and the BMVA4K's ProRes recording. I'll do both 4:2;2 8-bit and 10-bit output... though 10-bit won't record internally on the GH4.

I'll try to keep y'all posted...
Bob Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 11:41 PM   #4
Major Player

Goodoh! Look forward to your report.

Ron
Ronald Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5
Major Player

I did a quick and dirty test using the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K recording from the GH4 in 4:2:2 8-bit and 10-bit mode. I recorded internally (in 8-bit only). It was a quick and dirty shot just to see if I could discern any difference.

I shot in front of a poorly lit green screen with me running the camera and running in front of the camera, so... I'm not showing it!

But, playing with the image, the 10-bit footage from the 4K looked good to my eyes and played well within Premiere. I screwed up the exposure because I was outside trying to beat the rain. The 8-bit looked just as good. I'll try to post again with images this time, in a few days.

Basically, the GH4 plays really well with the Blackmagic Video Assist 4K. BTW, the 7" screen is awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
GH4 and "Blackmagic Video Assist 4K".-img_6130.jpg  
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Just updated my BMVA 4K to the 2.0.1 firmware. I can receive signal via the 59.96 NTSC frequency but not with the 24.00 freq. Kinda a mess... But I can still record in 59.96Hz @ 60fps
Old June 20th, 2016, 09:10 AM   #7
New Boot

Can you downscale to 1080p with the video assist? What about applying LUTs?
Scott James Walter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic LUMIX S / G / GF / GH / GX Series