Regarding Shutter Speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders
All AG-HPX and AJ-PX Series camcorders and P2 / P2HD hardware.

Old December 19th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Regarding Shutter Speed

I am shooting in HD - 720p on HVX202. Normally, the camera default shutter speed is 1/24. If I shoot in low light, and am using tripod, I can reduce the shutter speed to 1/12 - the lowest speed it will go.

Questions -

a) How does 1/12 speed affect the motion of objects recorded on camera?

b) Does it affect the "slow and fast motion" performance of the camera?

c) Compared with "Gain Control" - which is better? Increase gain or reduce the shutter by 1 stop?

I know Auto Focus will be slower - but, I am using mostly MF - so that's a non-issue for me.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
I am shooting in HD - 720p on HVX202. Normally, the camera default shutter speed is 1/24. If I shoot in low light, and am using tripod, I can reduce the shutter speed to 1/12 - the lowest speed it will go.

Questions -

c) Compared with "Gain Control" - which is better? Increase gain or reduce the shutter by 1 stop?

I know Auto Focus will be slower - but, I am using mostly MF - so that's a non-issue for me.
Normal shutter speed when shooting at 24 fps is 180 degrees or 1/48th second. 1/24 sec. is good enough for talking heads or very minor motion.

Anything lower slower will look very soft with any kind of motion.

Whenever I have to shoot in low-light the lower I would go is 1/24th with 6 db gain. If at that setting you get proper exposure then you would get a good image without grain (noise).

The HVX likes over exposure(1/2 f tops) better than under exposure.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
It will do "frame accumulation" and you'll end up with 12 distinct frames per second, each will be quite blurry.

Quote:
Well, it limits you to 12 distinct frames per second (you cannot have a faster frame rate than your exposure time without seriously harming the laws of physics).

Quote:
gain = noise, but normal motion
1/12 shutter = no noise, but blurrier motion

Your choice.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments just now. At 1/12 second, even panning at a very slow speed, I can see the image jumps - not smooth. Looks like I have to abandon 1/12 second shutter and stick to 1/25 (PAL) as the slowest I will go then.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I did some experiments just now. At 1/12 second, even panning at a very slow speed, I can see the image jumps - not smooth. Looks like I have to abandon 1/12 second shutter and stick to 1/25 (PAL) as the slowest I will go then.
I agree with Barry. I used to shoot a lot of interviews with 1/24th for the extra light levels but even they have a tendency to look rather soft. I cna't imagine using 1/12th of a second shutter. The camera definitely looks better with 1/48th (180 degree) shutter. These days, I just bring the light levels up and use 180 degree. The end result looks sharper and better to my eye.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I agree with Barry.... These days, I just bring the light levels up and use 180 degree.
Dan
The key here is - you can bring the light levels up. But I can't. Filming in national parks, inside rainforests, Himalaya mountains, etc ... it is just impossible. I just have to make do with whatever sunlight there is available.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Panasonic P2HD / AVCCAM / AVCHD / DV Camera Systems > Panasonic P2HD / DVCPRO HD Camcorders