A good source for ND gel for sticking to windows? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Trustee

A good source for ND gel for sticking to windows?

I was trying to find some ND gels to stick on windows on EBay but couldn't come up with anything - is there a good and inexpensive place for these sheets?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

Expendables are usually only sold in specialty film/photography/video stores. Definitely not something you can wander into Target and pick-up.
If you were in the New York/L.A. area hitting up Craigslist might be an option as sometimes production studios fold and sell off their inventory.

Your best bet is to just take the hit financially and buy the ND. Remember, if you are going to be shooting quite a bit it's best to invest the money in it as you can reuse it over and over. It's not like a roll of Gaffer's tape or Black Wrap that eventually runs out.

The only other alternative I can think of (I've never done this so I'm only guessing here) is to go to an automotive supply store and see what they have in the way of window tinting.
I believe it is cheaper than ND gel if memory serves correctly.

Maybe a light grey tint might do the trick?
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Wrangler

We like to refer "where to buy" questions to our sponsors, since they make the site possible. B&H Photo sells all kinds of gels: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

If you want a local supplier, check your yellow pages for Theatrical Supplies and you'll probably find a place nearby.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Trustee

If you only need a small amount, you can sometimes get it in the automotive section of your local big box store. They have small rolls of the kind that adheres with static cling. If you need enough to do a set of windows in a house, get a roll of ND from the recommended photo/video stores. It is actually probably cheaper per square foot if you buy the ND gel and you know what you are getting. Auto tint film isn't rated in f-stops.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management