DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old December 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Major Player

CTB Gels for Rifa...possible?

I never thought of this before but I own the Rifa 66 from Lowel and its the biggest light I own. However I need to shoot in a house soon that is full of windows. All my other lights have CTB gels but the lowel (usually my key) doesn't have one. Is it possible to put a CTB gel on one of those softboxes and if so what should I buy.

- Kyle
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Regular Old CTB will do. Lowel makes sheets just the right size for the Rifa, which is nice because standard 20"x24" sheets won't cover the whole face of the 66. The Lowel ones are big enough that you can clip the gels onto the velcro edges that connect the face to the rest of the box. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Gel_Set.html

Good luck.

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dodds View Post
Regular Old CTB will do. Lowel makes sheets just the right size for the Rifa, which is nice because standard 20"x24" sheets won't cover the whole face of the 66. The Lowel ones are big enough that you can clip the gels onto the velcro edges that connect the face to the rest of the box. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...t_Gel_Set.html
Dang it Dave, I wish I had seen this about a month ago before I ordered standard size gel sheets. I wasn't looking at Lowell, but the standard names in gels and none of them seemed to have large enough cuts to cover a 24x24 soft box.

As it is, I bought some of that clear gel repair tape to merge two pieces together.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #4
Major Player

the new rifas (rifa eX) can be lamped with daylight balanced fluorescents. You can buy an adapter to upgrade older rifas with the new bulb holders for around $90.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Actually, Greg, you're probably better off. The Lowel Rifa gel sets are rather expensive. I think you saved money doing what you did (Kyle, take note).

Regarding the EX, the flo adapter for the EX will actually give off more light than the Rifa 66 with a full CTB.

-Rifa 66 with full CTB = <200w output.
-EX with 3 30w daylight CFL = >250w tungsten equivalent.

However, if you decide you don't want a full match (for whatever reason) and use 3/4 or 1/2 CTB, this changes dramatically.

Good luck.

~~Dave
Dave Dodds is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management