Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Photon Management
Shine an ever-loving light on you.

Old February 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
As for the hotshoe breaking off with one good whack I beg to differ as it's already been whacked more than once and it held up just fine.

However after all is said and done obviously you are not satisfied with the quality of the light and are not going to purchase one to which I say, to each his own.
Don
Well, I will be honest, I have not broken one off, I just tugged on it and it felt as if the flimsy plastic on the hot shoe would easily break.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #47
Major Player

I can tell you my Litepanels LP-Micro has many problems. I have never bought an item so bad.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
I can tell you my Litepanels LP-Micro has many problems. I have never bought an item so bad.
Can you be more specific as to the problems you are having? While it may not directly benefit those who have already purchased the first production run of these units, I'm sure it will help the team at Litepanels, inc. so that they can work on redesigning the Micro to address the flaws.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
Dan
If it were built the same as the litepanel bretheren it wouldn't be $300.00
That's why I said I would gladly pay 25% more for a professional level product. Considering that a LitePanels DV system retails for around $650.00, I bet a smaller version with the same level build quality could be manufactured for around $400.00-$450.00, which I would gladly pay.

Purchasing a plastic unit with a flimsy filter holder, flimsy battery compartment and flimsy battery door is a waste of money IMHO. I would rather spend a little more and get something to better suit the needs of pros.

It's the same as all of the other gear that we buy and use. Sometimes marketing convinces engineering to hit a price point and this is what has happened with the LitePanels Micro. They hit a great price point. But if the thing is a flimsy light that will break and give users frustration like Adriano, for instance, then the manufacturer shoots themselves in the foot, tarnishing their reputation.

Sure, at $400.00, they wouldn't sell as many but the people that would buy them would be happier with the product, hence the company keeps it's reputation, sales increase from it's reputation. OR, they keep the price point the same, but increase build and manufacturing quality and make less profit per unit. Same end result. LitePanels already alienated a lot of people when they marketed their 1x1 as "having no discernable color shift when dimmed" when anyone who has used one can tell you that the units only flaw is that the color temp changes significantly when it is dimmed.

They hit a home run with their regular LitePanel kits, it's a great product and a good price with a good reputation. I understand that they are trying to hit the wedding videographer/event video market with the Micro but in my opinion, after examining the product in person, they need to go back to the drawing board. If there are many more Adrianos on the boards, their reputation and sales will suffer. Go on all of the other web boards and see how many dissatisfied users there are. Read the magazine reviews of the unit, the same comments keep cropping up, "flimsy filter holder, battery compartment issues, boy, this thing is delicate, etc." Then go look at the QuickTime on the VIDLed site of the VIDLed being thrown 30 feet in the air and landing on concrete and still working perfectly. Try that with a Micro and see what you get. I guess I am just tired of buying products that are flimsy and break. Some great engineering going on in our market but some poor manufacturing, tooling and choice of materials.

Just my .02. No offense intended, like I said, I am sure you are enjoying the end product, the light that the Micro produces, I would be too, if they built it better.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Genus View Post
Can you be more specific as to the problems you are having? While it may not directly benefit those who have already purchased the first production run of these units, I'm sure it will help the team at Litepanels, inc. so that they can work on redesigning the Micro to address the flaws.
My problems:

1) I cannot use the diffusion warming filter included because it always fall to the ground. I don't succeed on it.

2) I don't succeed to insert the batteries correctly. I have the battery clip problem.

3) When I turn on the lamp with integrated on/off dimmer I have problems. I see the light in the final part only.

Are they sufficient?
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #51
Major Player

I bought a Vidled Deluxe last year for, less than 475, and I have been really happy with it. Robust and very efficient.
I was curious of the new lite panels because I will buy a HV20 , but after reading all the comments, I think I will get another Vidled!
Robert Morane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni View Post
My problems:

1) I cannot use the diffusion warming filter included because it always fall to the ground. I don't succeed on it.

2) I don't succeed to insert the batteries correctly. I have the battery clip problem.

3) When I turn on the lamp with integrated on/off dimmer I have problems. I see the light in the final part only.

Are they sufficient?
Yes that is sufficient but more importantly, it is the feedback that a company like Litepanels needs to hear from it's consumers.

Thanks.

- Frank.
Frank Genus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #53
Major Player

Oh my goodness - l must really lucky to get a functional model minus all those problems you guys are having.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:17 AM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
Oh my goodness - l must really lucky to get a functional model minus all those problems you guys are having.
Perhrps your model was made in Taiwan. ;)
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:21 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Look at your serial number? Mine is the 581th manufactured item. If you have a higher number, that might be the newer batch with issues fixed.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:36 AM   #56
Major Player

My serial number is 00440.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:39 AM   #57
Inner Circle

The first one I have is 2xx.. I forgot. Now the replacement is 581.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:47 AM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
The first one I have is 2xx.. I forgot. Now the replacement is 581.
But I'd like to know if mine is a newer batch with issues fixed. ;)
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:58 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Obviously yours is the batch that have the have battery compartment issue. You should send back and get a replacement. That's what I did. I bought from Todd at DVeStore. He arranged shipment both ways.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:12 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Obviously yours is the batch that have the have battery compartment issue. You should send back and get a replacement. That's what I did. I bought from Todd at DVeStore. He arranged shipment both ways.
But do I have to pay the shipping to USA? I live in Italy.
I have bought that item at:

ZGC, Inc.
264 Morris Ave.
Mountain Lakes
New Jersey, USA
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Photon Management